sealing off rear hatch glass on 00 mountaineer/explorer

Has anyone ever done this with success. Was going to have a buddy who does auto glass seal it of with polyurethane because it flexes like a mofo. Just worried I will break the glass or would I be better off making a template and replacing with lexan??? Any help or info on this would be much appreciated ty.

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

I dont have a whole lot of experience with glass but it seems to me a sealed piece of lexan would be better than stock glass

tempered is strong glass. if you've ever tried to break a window hitting it in the dead center with a blunt object, you probably already know that. It's weakest points are the edges.....That's why some thieves carry a flathead screwdriver instead of a rock....

With urethane in between, the glass has nothing to break it. I would definitely glue it down if you don't mind not being able to move it.

edit: Also, those rear hatches are notorious for rusted out hardware. Over time the shocks, torx bolts, and handle hardware rot out and they're a pain in the ass to get out/replace. I would definitely consider sealing it off, but also make sure none of that stuff is lose. If it loosens up/ rots out to were it rattling off the glass, that could break it.

if it were me, I'd probably have your buddy seal off the rubber molding to the metal of the hatch, then do the rubber molding to the glass itself. That way you don't risk the molding pulling off the metal lip of the hatch.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

So if I urethane it closed do you think it will break our you think I will be fine. Just don't want to seal it its its only going to destroy the glass. Don't use the glass just sick of it moving like crazy. Will only do lexan if I have to because I'm sure it's expensive even if I'm getting it at cost our close to it.

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

definitely won't destroy the glass. I would seal it.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

Anyone else have opinions on this?

This Is why I didn't go with an 18. I figured the sub would somehow cause the glass to slap the hatch and break, Ford already has an issue with the back panel easily breaking.

Yo dog i heard you like boxes. so i put a box inside a box so you can bass while you FAIL

I believe I read somewhere someone using greatstuff around the seal to stabilize the gasket from the push/pull effect.

Yo dog i heard you like boxes. so i put a box inside a box so you can bass while you FAIL

Any veterans or pros have any ideas or input on this?

Archived