Jump to content

Wiring second headunit along with stock


Recommended Posts

Posted

So I'm looking to install a secondary headunit to go along with my factory headunit. If I could just replace my stock headunit I would, but then I would lose my heat/air and my factory navigation and god knows what else would happen.

Should this be as easy as tapping into the factory speaker wires and finding an ignition and 12+ constant wire?

Posted

i'd say disconnect the audio outputs from the current headunit and wire them into your aftermarket headunit (making sure that the speakers can handle the frequencys that the new headunit is going to send them, ie fullrange.. and that the other headunit wasn't running the speakers active or anything like that)keep in mind your nav system will still work but you wont get the audio through it, prob the same as your Bluetooth handsfree ext

Posted

i'd say disconnect the audio outputs from the current headunit and wire them into your aftermarket headunit (making sure that the speakers can handle the frequencys that the new headunit is going to send them, ie fullrange.. and that the other headunit wasn't running the speakers active or anything like that)keep in mind your nav system will still work but you wont get the audio through it, prob the same as your Bluetooth handsfree ext

Well I'm running RTS1s, PRV Neos, and PWX 6s. Speakers should be fine. Don't even use the factory nav., its just there. The Sync will be replaced by the aftermarket unit so I should be ok. You think I could left the audio outputs plugged into the stock headunit and just tap off of those? Trying not to cut into the wire harness so I can make sure it can be returned to stock. All my speakers are running off another amp so the stock wiring isn't even used. Would it cause interference?

Posted

You will probably have to bypass an existing factory amplifier if it has the sync system.

boss 1200 and a ipod nano.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

The Metra 99-5721 kit won't work for you? Especially if you don't care about the navi? You don't seem to care about anything factory and are already running all aftermarket audio. So all that needs to be the same is the physical dash cavity. lol Should work....

And I think I'd just dump the whole head unit and use an RCA to AUX cord for amp input. Rather than that $40 Kenwood head unit velcroed to the side of the dash. lol

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1322 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...