Sonic Electronix

sub power compaired to speaker power

im working on designing and building a system around sound quality over SPL and im wondering if there is GENERAL rule of thumb when it comes to RMS power between sub stage and front stage...

like: for every 10rms in front stage you should have 20rms in sub stage... something like that.

so far im working at a set up that has 100rms per door (4 doors) and a single 500rms sub.

anyone think that the sub will be drowned out or be perfect for a good bass best adding to the set up?

EDIT:

speakers are mezzo series from crescendo, 6.5 and tweet in each door. http://store.crescendoaudio.com/mezzo-series-6-5-reference-2-way/

the sub is a 12" dayton ultimax in a FLAT response ported box http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-um12-22-12-ultimax-dvc-subwoofer-2-ohms-per-coil--295-512

powered by: alpine pdx-v9 http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/pdx-v9/

i see alot of people running alot more then 600rms to those subs, it is indeed a 2.5" coil with lots of venting, so im wondering if i should go with a single 4ch amp for the highs and a larger amp for the sub

so you want a comp set up front, and a set on the rear... with each door getting 100wrms.. with 500wrms to the sub?

Just clarifying

But if so, thats quite a bit. Worse case, the mids and highs can be turned down... but i dont see them having any issues "keeping up".. at all

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Yes, so ill have 400rms of door speakers and 500rms of subwoofer. just seeing if anyone thinks 500rms wont be enough to keep up with the doors, granted im not running pa speakers or mid bass... just normal comps

I don't think the sub will keep up at all. My previous system was a dd 512 on 500 watts in a spl style box. I had agtermarket speakers all running off of the deck and the sub never once drowned out the mids /highs. Imo I would think 1000 watts to a sub would be a good place to start. But 400 watts just to mids and highs should be able to keep up with a 1500-2000 watt system with ease I would think

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

There is no rule of thumb like that because too many other variables would need to be taken into account. The rule would not account for enclosure design, subwoofer placement, number or size of subwoofers, etc.

TBH, I think you'll find mostly bassheads on this board. Not to say there's no hardcore SQ guys on here, but it's like 50:1. So take their responses as such. Biamp the front and ensure you're using a solid processor/head unit.

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

I don't think 400w is to doors is SQ. But anyways. Look at steve's ISF. LOTS of power but still able to have great SQ. It's all in the install and how you put it to use.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm