Sonic Electronix

System cuts in and out at high volumes

A better ground spot would be good. Did turning the LC2i gain down help?

Nope. I found out that my problem is that I'm not giving the amp and lc2i enough juice. I have a 120 amp fuse on the power wire for the amp which has the lc2i piggy-backing it's power from the amp. I'll upgrade that to a 150 amp fuse and get two distro-blocks (one fused for the power and the other unfused for the ground).

Vehicle: 2013 Ford F-150 STX SuperCab 5.0L V8 4x4

BIG 3: Knukonceptz Kolossus Fleks 0 Gauge OFC Power Amp Kit

Headunit: Stock (Leaving factory look)

Speakers: Stock

Subwoofer: Incriminator Audio Lethal Injection 10" D2 wired down to 1 ohm

Enclosure: ~1.5 cubic feet tuned to ~34 Hz (Port Area ~24 inches)

Amplifier(s): Sundown Audio SAE1000.1D

Amp Power Kit: Knukonceptz Complete 4 Gauge OFC Amplifier Installation Kit

so did your 120amp fuse blow did it?

My system is still trying to play and has power to it. So the fuse did not blow.

I don't think the fuse is your issue then. Upgrading to a larger fuse is asking for problems in my opinion. Take the LC2i off of the amp, give it its own constant 12v power run from the battery (fused for the amount of current it requires as listed in the manual it should have) and run its remote turn on from the amps remote or a switched source from the fuse panel. You can change your fuse if you want, but I wouldn't. If you're going to add a 150A fuse instead of using the 120A, the LC2i requires 30A of current? So splitting it between the amp and that, your amp is only receiving 90A of current on that power run theoretically, no blown fuse, but cuts out when you turn the volume up. Your amp shouldn't cut out because it's not receiving enough current with good input voltage, it just won't be at its full potential output. The only things that make sense to me is that either the input signal from the RCA's is too high, or your ground doesn't have enough continuity, or your input voltage is dropping too low to power the amp. Set to DC voltage on dmm and place on amps power and ground inputs, play a song that it cuts out on, start with volume on HU at zero and slowly turn up until it cuts out and watch the voltage while you do it to see how much your voltage drops.

confused why upgrading to a 150amp fuse is going to improve anything. upgrade your ground first (remove the paint were it's mounted too)

Alright. I'll find a better grounding point.

I don't think the fuse is your issue then. Upgrading to a larger fuse is asking for problems in my opinion. Take the LC2i off of the amp, give it its own constant 12v power run from the battery (fused for the amount of current it requires as listed in the manual it should have) and run its remote turn on from the amps remote or a switched source from the fuse panel. You can change your fuse if you want, but I wouldn't. If you're going to add a 150A fuse instead of using the 120A, the LC2i requires 30A of current? So splitting it between the amp and that, your amp is only receiving 90A of current on that power run theoretically, no blown fuse, but cuts out when you turn the volume up. Your amp shouldn't cut out because it's not receiving enough current with good input voltage, it just won't be at its full potential output. The only things that make sense to me is that either the input signal from the RCA's is too high, or your ground doesn't have enough continuity, or your input voltage is dropping too low to power the amp. Set to DC voltage on dmm and place on amps power and ground inputs, play a song that it cuts out on, start with volume on HU at zero and slowly turn up until it cuts out and watch the voltage while you do it to see how much your voltage drops.

When the lc2i cuts out, then the amp cuts out as well. This is happening because the amp's turn on wire is connected to the lc2i via its rem out. That's why I was thinking about upgrading the fuse to 150A. But I will check the voltage as well.

Upgrading the fuse won't solve your issue

So you think it is definitely a grounding issue then?

Grounding, input power voltage, or input signal voltage. Check input voltage like I said, if that's good, unplug RCA's from amp and attach positive lead to center pin on your RCA's and ground lead on a bare metal ground and measure AC voltage as you turn it up to the point where it usually cuts out at. Most amps can only intake up to 5VAC.

Archived