Pioneer DEH-80PRS preout voltage

So today it occurred to me that I'm an idiot and should double check everything. For whatever reason I was thinking DD-1 track 3 was 40hz @0dB. Instead I realized its -5dB since track 5 is -10dB. So here are my preout results at this time for 40hz:

Volume at 60/62, sub level at +6dB

-10dB = 2VAC

-5dB = 3.6VAC

0dB = 5.58VAC

So from what I'm piecing together in my mind, the less dB the test tone, the more the amplifier will put out. But not all music is created equally. What if it is recorded at 0dB but I set my gain using the -15dB on the DD-1 cd? Clipped signal to all hell correct? Is there a way to find out what level music is recorded at? I like using the -10dB to set my gains. Which means I'm matching my gain to 2VAC, so what happens when that 5VAC signal comes through? Knowing your equipments limits is one thing. But this makes me think there is no way to avoid clipping my input signal when songs are recorded at different levels, unless I set my gain with that 0dB tone and lose a good amount of my output.

What are you guys' thought?

OM-1

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

So today it occurred to me that I'm an idiot and should double check everything. For whatever reason I was thinking DD-1 track 3 was 40hz @0dB. Instead I realized its -5dB since track 5 is -10dB. So here are my preout results at this time for 40hz:

Volume at 60/62, sub level at +6dB

-10dB = 2VAC

-5dB = 3.6VAC

0dB = 5.58VAC

So from what I'm piecing together in my mind, the less dB the test tone, the more the amplifier will put out. But not all music is created equally. What if it is recorded at 0dB but I set my gain using the -15dB on the DD-1 cd? Clipped signal to all hell correct? Is there a way to find out what level music is recorded at? I like using the -10dB to set my gains. Which means I'm matching my gain to 2VAC, so what happens when that 5VAC signal comes through? Knowing your equipments limits is one thing. But this makes me think there is no way to avoid clipping my input signal when songs are recorded at different levels, unless I set my gain with that 0dB tone and lose a good amount of my output.

What are you guys' thought?

OM-1

Fair enough. Didn't think about that. I don't want to learn anything else about this game. Every time I do I rethink everything I've done up to the point I'm at. And it ends up costing me more money to ensure I've got the equipment that tells me what I need to know to keep my gear in good working order.

Archived