Second Skin Audio

how to determine port length for 2 pipe ports

dsw422

Ok.. I'll see if my uncle has 4 inch pipe.. what would my length need to be??? My buddy likes the lowe's so I'll stick with 40... would reducing box volume decrease length of port?? What would u recommend? ?

Decreasing the box volume would make the port have to be longer to get the same tuning, so that's not what you are going to want to do. With two 4" ports they will need to be about 23" long to tune you to 40 hz. You might be able to stick them in from one or both of the sides and get them to fit. If you can get that to work, that would be my recommendation for what to do.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Ok.. I'll see if my uncle has 4 inch pipe.. what would my length need to be??? My buddy likes the lowe's so I'll stick with 40... would reducing box volume decrease length of port?? What would u recommend? ?

Decreasing the box volume would make the port have to be longer to get the same tuning, so that's not what you are going to want to do. With two 4" ports they will need to be about 23" long to tune you to 40 hz. You might be able to stick them in from one or both of the sides and get them to fit. If you can get that to work, that would be my recommendation for what to do.

Damn... that aint gonna work... I'm screwed.. the sub when in the box, only has 1/2 inch between the sides... port has to come out of the same face as sub..

Could a rectangle port on both far ends work?? Even with the odd shape??

Sry for such a noob mistake.. but thanks for the help..

EDIT: so does each of the 4inch tubes gotta be 23 inches??

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

Factory Sony 10 Speaker Sound System

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Custom Center console in the works. will house an NVX NSW10"

https://m.facebook.com/WinnsCustomCarAudio/

Yup each port has to be 23" long. A rectangular port may work, if you can fit it in. Its going to eat up more internal volume than the round ports would though.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

Yup each port has to be 23" long. A rectangular port may work, if you can fit it in. Its going to eat up more internal volume than the round ports would though.

ugh.. i cant believe i messed up this bad!!! well.. im gonna try something and if the guy dont like it, ill build another (the right way)...

so what would my length need to be for 2 3 inch ports at 40hz??

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Maybe I missed it, why can't you put an elbow bend in with the tubes?

I can, but I don't have alot of room in the box... I would have to use multiple bends.. and by the time I get the port correct, my volume will have gone down dramatically.

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

ugh.. i cant believe i messed up this bad!!! well.. im gonna try something and if the guy dont like it, ill build another (the right way)...

They would need to be about 9.5" long, though I think using only two 3" ports is a recipe for failure, and I advise you not to do it.

Builds:

Assuming 2.4 gross a single 6" round port (20" long) fully inside the box would leave you with 2.1net @40Hz (sub displacement assumed as 0.1 cubic feet) the port could be firing up with a single bend to run across the box.

Still that spec should not be good on low tuned music and the high net volume will limit the power it can go to the sub.

They would need to be about 9.5" long, though I think using only two 3" ports is a recipe for failure, and I advise you not to do it.

so only 2 ports, its 9.5 inches long each... but 4 ports its 30 inches??? thats a huge difference.. i think ill try the 2... or maybe even 2 4 inch ports.. what length then??

Assuming 2.4 gross a single 6" round port (20" long) fully inside the box would leave you with 2.1net @40Hz (sub displacement assumed as 0.1 cubic feet) the port could be firing up with a single bend to run across the box.

Still that spec should not be good on low tuned music and the high net volume will limit the power it can go to the sub.

unfortunately i cant fit a bend that long b/c the subwoofer takes up too much space so the port couldnt pass it.. what would u tune it too??

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Yup, less port area = shorter port, that's how it works.

Since you are going to use the two 3" ports, let me tell you what's going to happen. At low volume its going to work just fine. However once enough power is put to that sub the port velocity is going to get too high, you will probably get port noise, and port compression. Port compression is going to make that box begin to function like a leaky sealed box. Impedance will rise, cone excursion will increase, and output will diminish.

Builds:

Archived