Second Skin Audio

Would this blow a subwoofer?

Well you had them strapped on 2 crescendo 2000wrms amps at 1ohm, so thats .5 per amp. That instantly increases the a/c amperage sent to the woofers coils, which in return adds a lot of excessive heat.

Im sure the woofers could of been clipped to death.

But Im going to assume that the gains where set properly and that the woofers didnt get clipped and provide more reasons to why they blown.

The original TC 9 woofers are only 800watts rms each iirc. Stronger or better parts dont mean anything if the motor can not support the additional power, and by this I mean what good is putting a coil in the woofer that can handle 300ish degrees of heat when the motor only has enough cooling to dissipate lets say 200 degrees of heat.

Drilling out the basket wont hurt the cooling much, but really is not needed since many manufactures use that style basket with zero issues with the vent holes left completely normal and not made larger.

Woofers like the Fi BTL and the Ascendant Audio mayhem which handle much more power, have no pole piece venting, but has great internal chamfering to direct air around the coil.

The only way that drilling those hole larger would really destroy the woofer is if you drilled out the basket when the basket was mounted to the motor and got metal shavings all inside the gap for the coil to rub on.

When you slinky coils it is normally a direct result of heat, and not being able to properly keep the voice coil cool and what you get is a hot voice coil to the point that the adhesive that is used to glue the coil windings to the former melts away. Like I said, this will even happen if the coil is rated for more power than it is even being giving but the cooling is lacking.

I also dont really like the fact that CCA wire was used for the direct connects, but thats just me.

I can also not stand someone selling some pipe dream to make people thing their woofers can handle more than they can because the parts being used.

Thinking of it this way, if it was a woofer that can handle 2500wrms than I can assure you that TC Sounds has enough brains to market it as that,, and not an 800watt sub like the limitations of the magnet..

People need to open their eyes and understand this.

could be unloading issues too..

by the way.. David would never do such thing.. i have dealt with him and never has he said he can bump the watt rating with better parts. he even recommends staying at manufacturer recommendation. he is not a miracle worker

Say what you want, but there is no way mid level woofer rated for 800wrms is going to handle 2500watts rms for musical applications.
Its a tiny 140oz motor with a 3inch coil.

Most other manufactures with similar sized motors are all using 2.5inch coils with a 400-800 wrms rating, not 2500wrms rating.

i think youre confused with what i said. i dont think david would tell him its a 2500rms sub. I have z v.3 motors and at best he would say only 1700rms so no way will he say 2500rms on that tiny motor.. maybe 2500 rms with both subs and the person misread

i think youre confused with what i said. i dont think david would tell him its a 2500rms sub. I have z v.3 motors and at best he would say only 1700rms so no way will he say 2500rms on that tiny motor.. maybe 2500 rms with both subs and the person misread

But he did, 2500 wrms he was told by PSI.

Im stating there is no way a 13lb woofer (with basket and parts) will be able to handle more power than some of the most popular 70lb woofers on the market with similar ratings, its that simple.

PSI quoted him 2500rms per driver

from his own words.. im not taking kid's word for it. 1 because you cant believe everything that is said on the net. 2. because he has stated that he wont. 3. because he refused to do something crazy for me on way bigger motors.

I'm getting more and more ridiculous requests all of a sudden. This is seeming to be becoming somewhat of a problem, not for just us, but other companies that I deal with and talk to often.

We're getting a lot of service requests asking for average subwoofers to be built to handle absolutely insane amounts of power. While we're able to build some very very high powered subwoofers out of existing motors and frames, we are not magicians.

A standard "large" subwoofer with a 3" voice coil is NOT going to handle 3500+ watts reliably on a daily basis for most users! While there are some situations, and some users where this may be SOMEWHAT possible, 98% of the time, it's NOT going to happen.

A basic rule of thumb is as follows:
Most large 3" coil subwoofers can be built to handle anywhere from 0-2500w rms. These types of subs are like the RE MT, DD 9500, fi btl, IA Death Penalty, Nightshade, ETC. In some cases, we can build them to handle around 3000w rms.

Most smaller to medium sized 3" coil subs are going to meet their limits at around 1500-1800w rms. These subs are things like the DD 3500, RE SX, RD Alpha, etc.

VERY large 4" coil subwoofers can be built to handle up to 3500-4000w rms. These are the SS XXX, TC 5400/4HP, TRF, etc.

These higher power handling numbers DO come at a cost though. People ask me for a DD 9500 that handles 3500w rms and "kills on the lows". Guess what? It's not happening!!

By stuffing more spiders into the assembly to handle the extreme power and control excursion of the assembly, you're killing the low end capability of the subwoofer. You're making it greatly LESS sensitive, requiring even more power to get good output from it. Why would anyone want a sub that plays like crap from 40hz and down, just to pour 1000w extra into it and get the same peak output that they would have gotten with a looser suspension and les power?

Basically... when you ask me to do such a build, you're just running in circles. You want the sub to handle more power than it "really" can, and by us doing what we have to do to ensure that you don't destroy it in 5 seconds, you create a subwoofer that performs the same or worse on 3000w than it would have with 2500w or less.

Have you ever really thought about the performance gain from 2500w to 3500w? How much extra output do you think that you will get? In the real world, less than 1db.

This problem is happening because huge amplifiers are getting cheap, and it seems that just because people can run out and buy a 4000w amp, they think that a single subwoofer is going to reliably handle it. News flash... it cant!

This problem is happening because huge amplifiers are getting cheap, and it seems that just because people can run out and buy a 4000w amp, they think that a single subwoofer is going to reliably handle it. News flash... it cant!

While we want to honor your requests for extreme subwoofers, we still want you to be happy with what we end up building for you. Please keep this thread in mind when you send us a request to build your subwoofer.

We'll build anything that you want us to, but we CANNOT warranty a subwoofer with burned leads, ripped parts, burned or damaged voice coils, etc. These are all common failures when using subwoofers with too much power.

I'll be linking far fetched requests to this thread as a response, so if you post in here, make sure it's something helpful. Any silly responses will be deleted.

Cool story, but there have been other people complaining about his recones failing after some absorb claim was made about the woofer handling 1000s of watts more.

What he says publicly and possible tells another person wanting a recone can be 2 different things, and it would only make him out too look like a fool if he is publicly saying he can make woofers handle well more than they are capable of.

Im saying there is no way possible.

David is also saying the same thing someplace on the internets.

The OP is saying otherwise.

At the end of the day there is no way this is possible no matter who claims what, like I already said.

Where are the emails for these wattage claims Platemail?

Archived