2012 Malibu system upgrades: wiring & prep.

IMG_2392_zpshvzev5ge.jpg

I got some of my sons RF equipment back from his old Tahoe build and thinking about changing up the Malibu's amps. The r1000 and 3 punch amps where his, the T1500 is out of the Lancer.

So the change up would be replacing the T400-4 with the P500-4 . Gain 30 watts each to speakers. And mabe install the P200-2 for future A-Pillar 4" comps instead of a BPR300-2 under the dash. ?

I will have to play with everything once i have the car in the gararage and broke down. Any thoughts anyone?

Tear down of system went well.

IMG_2394_zpszfvu2jbq.jpg

Amp and LC7 removed.IMG_2395_zpsycvsxenx.jpg

PUNCH amps mounted.

IMG_2397_zpsed6nxeos.jpg

Amps wired up and ready to set gains with DD-1.

IMG_2400_zpscgicjmww.jpg

So all that went well but i got the wrong PAC(plug in was a single, needed dual) antenna adapter was wrong and built the wrong HU adapter. So i ran

all the RCA's, remote wire and hooked them up to the amps. I put the dash back together and will have to get the right stuff to finish install bummer!!!

HU is up and running, Its a pretty basic HU but but it has clean sound.

IMG_2408_zps75bdsiks.jpg

Amp changes add more dynamics to the system, They sound good, very happy with how it turned out. Now we'll see what the wifes thinks about it.

IMG_2407_zpsou0ld1z8.jpg

I have to pull the HU and adjust mounting plate so trim pieces line up better. HU needs to slid back more.

IMG_2410_zps7inblaug.jpg

Now to get some tuning done this week to make the system shine.

Ya the line up does look good. The wife called and she likes what i have done to it. See how she likes some A-Pillar pods this summer. lol Thanks for commenting!

No problem man. Rockford is one of my favorite companies hand down.

Just picked up a old school punch 120x2 on ebay for $30. Says it powers on but no output, should be an easy fix :)

I had thought about going old school amps on the whole build, shopped on ebay even. But in the end when i had access to these punch amps it made sence to save money to use them.

When i went to a local car audio shop (Perfectionist Auto) to pick up a PAC for this HU upgrade, i picked these foam rings up for the T3 6.5" in the front doors. $30 a pair i thought it was worth trying to increase sound quality in the front stage. I didnt do a lot to the doors when i installed them due to lack of time. Well now that i got a garage i will go back into the doors to add some deadening and acoustic foam in the next couple weekends.

3 piece system looks well constructed and he said the glue was really good. OK enough yack and pic time.

IMG_2411_zpsvxt6qove.jpg

Back foam ring. T2's are out of the Lancer.

IMG_2412_zpspllb5cim.jpg

simple...

IMG_2413_zpsiwbn8dbr.jpg

Front side foam ring and rear. Malibu's door panel slopes at the speaker grill and will need to be trimmed down for proper fit.

IMG_2414_zpsuvimvzd1.jpg

All three pieces, last one goes on the inside door panel to help cancel out back wave of driver.

IMG_2416_zps4sxtoldi.jpg

And the baffle system on my T2's inside my T3 box. Box was to nice to pitch, good for storing other speakers. Finish HU adjustment this weekend, door following. Stay tuned.

Just picked up a old school punch 120x2 on ebay for $30. Says it powers on but no output, should be an easy fix :)

I had thought about going old school amps on the whole build, shopped on ebay even. But in the end when i had access to these punch amps it made sence to save money to use them.

Ive contemplated that too. I just watched BIg D WIz on youtube do an amp dyno of that little guy, does roughly twice the power in the right circumstance!

Cant beat some of these old school boards.

Ive contemplated that too. I just watched BIg D WIz on youtube do an amp dyno of that little guy, does roughly twice the power in the right circumstance!

Cant beat some of these old school boards.

Got my amp today, tested it real quick but will have to properly fix it sunday. This weekend im starting to gut my car so that will be my wind down project lol.

The little strip fuse had a jumper wired on there, obviously that blew at some point and someone fixed it. It got warm again and came un soldered.

I jumpered it real quick and it powers on and puts out beautiful clean power :)

Thing is almost as old as I am and stills like a new board. I will post pics in my build log when I get to it!

Archived