Second Skin Audio

Two jbl gt5-15 ported enclosure.

So A little glue leaked out as it sat clamped in a few spots but I will cover all of that with some gray carpet I just ordered. And the sub holes could have been a little cleaner. Not bad for doing all of this in an apartment and cutting the holes with a sawzall. They are 1/4 too big so if the sub does not sit properly I will maybe add another layer of baffle and cut the holes again. Or buy some square spacer rings and just glue and screw them on.

Got the enclosure carpeted and did not do so half bad considering I have never built a box this size. In fact the only other ported box I ever built was .75 feet for a Sundown E-8v3. The two sides that will be visible are perfect and the rest is good enough. I think I am going to paint the inside of the port black with some black spray paint. Now all I need is my subs. I think this box will be good down the line if I decide to triple my power and add two Sa-15's. Thanks for checking it out and for all the advice.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/134243985@N03/18972311818/in/dateposted-public/

So I went to the local car audio place and was going to buy 15ft of 12 gauge speaker wire and they said they were out but said that 16 gauge OFC would be fine. Is that true? I bought the wire but don't want to use it if it will not handle the 600w rms of my amp. I could Run separate wires to each sub instead of daisy chaining them. Any input on this would help. Keep in mind my budget for this build is totally drained. Thanks.

So I went to the local car audio place and was going to buy 15ft of 12 gauge speaker wire and they said they were out but said that 16 gauge OFC would be fine. Is that true? I bought the wire but don't want to use it if it will not handle the 600w rms of my amp. I could Run separate wires to each sub instead of daisy chaining them. Any input on this would help. Keep in mind my budget for this build is totally drained. Thanks.

It depends. If your subs are wired at 1 ohm and you only have one pair of wire running to the amp, then no, 16 gauge is not enough IMHO. If your subs are wired at 2 ohms or higher and/or you use more than one pair of wires coming from your subs to your amp, then you are probably fine. I'd keep the runs as short as you can and 12 gauge would give you a better safety margin regardless.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

So the amp will be running at 2 ohms. The amp is right next to the box and I can get away with pretty short runs. So the best bet is to run two runs of wire from the amp, one to each svc sub. Should I just run the wire in through the port or should I drill a hole and caulk it?

You should be fine with 16 gauge wire. Definitely drill a hole for the wires and silicone it up. You don't want wires in your port.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived