Second Skin Audio

Loudest SPL/SQL sealed set up

akuma4u

Here is another suggestion based on two Fi X 10" subwoofers, power to 1500W RMS and the possibility of firing the port and subs forwards or backwards:

Theoretical in-car response:

fix.jpg

fix_lst.jpg

fix_pic.jpg

this is something i can fit into my car and have facing the rear as the height is 11.

Now these 2 10s ported would get louder than 1 12 ported, right?

i guess it all boils down to me choosing the sub now.

i have been told by another forum member about a new sub called the DSS ethos. He said the DSS ethos 12 plays almost all frequencies loud and has a fairly flat response and it can get super loud and maintain decent SQ AND on top of all that it works in very small enclosures..

any thoughts on that sub? i know i can run the 1 12 ported, mmmmmaybe 2 10s ported too..

or are the fi X, icon, chaos still better options for maintaining a fairly flat response throughout the bandwidth AND get very loud at the same time?

thanks all u guys for your help.

this box design is exactly what i was thinking in my mind. Thanks for the help and time u put into this for me.

only thing im a little confused on , you said that it should be 1.5 cubes but the dimensions you used (17 3/8 x 11 x 30.5) were giving me like 2.25 cubes..

Yup its 1.5 cubes net airspace. Net airspace is what's left after you take into account the space the port, sub, and bracing take up inside the box. Net airspace is the number that matters when it comes to how the sub will sound. There is one dimension that's off in my picture FYI, the depth of the box should be 17-3/4 instead of 17-3/8.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

this is something i can fit into my car and have facing the rear as the height is 11.

i have been told by another forum member about a new sub called the DSS ethos. He said the DSS ethos 12 plays almost all frequencies loud and has a fairly flat response and it can get super loud and maintain decent SQ AND on top of all that it works in very small enclosures..

any thoughts on that sub? i know i can run the 1 12 ported, mmmmmaybe 2 10s ported too..

or are the fi X, icon, chaos still better options for maintaining a fairly flat response throughout the bandwidth AND get very loud at the same time?

The Ethos does do well in small enclosures, but it won't play as flat as any of the options JoeX or I have recommended and I don't think you can get the Ethos right now.

The two FI X10's JoeX recommended will have nearly identical performance to any of the single 12"s I suggested. The advantage of the dual 10"s is you don't have to have them facing up, which is a pretty big deal. Subs facing up in trunk cars just contribute to a bunch of trunk rattle, which is wasted energy.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

The Ethos does do well in small enclosures, but it won't play as flat as any of the options JoeX or I have recommended and I don't think you can get the Ethos right now.

The two FI X10's JoeX recommended will have nearly identical performance to any of the single 12"s I suggested. The advantage of the dual 10"s is you don't have to have them facing up, which is a pretty big deal. Subs facing up in trunk cars just contribute to a bunch of trunk rattle, which is wasted energy.

oh i get it, i didnt think that the port area and stuff would account for so much displacement.. u have to remember ive been a strictly sealed box user since the mid 90s LOL so ya very little displacements im use to taking off the gross number.

ok what about this, the subs facing up vs facing rear, i know it will reduce some trunk rattle ( i have my trunk lid heavily foamed inside with great stuff foam filler and then double layered dynamatted so the rattling is already almost eliminated) but will facing the subs rear also increase DBs?

and finally, i know you said that the 2 10s would have nearly identiical performance than the 1 12 but when u say performance does that also mean that the 2 10s would get just as loud as the 1 12? if so , then its just wiser to save my money and get 1 12 instead of 2 10s if its going to be the same level of loudness. However, whats confusing is u say it would be the same performance but the 2 10s would have more cone area so wouldnt they get noticeably louder? loud enough to justify the cost of buying 2 10s vs 1 12 is what im trying to get at..

just got off the phone with sundown tech to ask some questions

i told him my measurements , then asked what the loudest best flat response type set up i could run

he told me

1 SA 12

2 SA 10s

1 zv3

i mentioned the ssa icon, aa chaos and fi x and asked him his take on them vs the zv3 or sa and he said the only one coming close is the ssa icon and that fi x customer service has fallen off lately or something like that

he then emailed me a box design which he said would work for 1 zv3, 1 sa or 2 sa 10s

im going to try to post that design up now .. if i cant ill just post the link to it

2lw57k2.jpg

2lw57k2.jpg

Due to an issue with the RE calculator that box is tuned to nearly 38Hz, 1.75 cubic feet total or about 0.9 cubic feet per SA-10, here's the result:

sa10.jpg

Sundown are high output drivers and you see why, they are peaky even in small boxes.

Due to an issue with the RE calculator that box is tuned to nearly 38Hz, 1.75 cubic feet total or about 0.9 cubic feet per SA-10, here's the result:

sa10.jpg

Sundown are high output drivers and you see why, they are peaky even in small boxes.

bro can u do a graph for a single zv3 for me?

I left out the 12" options due to sub up, but although the driver can work in small boxes models inadequate for flat response, in the suggested enclosure, with that sub in would be 1.7 cubic feet @ 38 Hz (due to the 0,24 cubic feet displacement):

zv312.jpg

As a last test I did a SA-12 in a pretty small 1.4 net @ 32Hz just to see, these subs are clearly made to get loud rather than flat:

sa12.jpg

I would add that you should still run those tone sweeps and do the measurements before considering any options.

the car audio shops in my area are lame.. i asked a few and all of them said they dont do that kind of thing, one asked me why and said its not necessary.

im still trying to find one that can do it but now i have to call the shops like more than an hour away from me as ive covered all the ones close to me.

those 2 sa 10s , could you put them in the dual 10 ported box YOU designed and can u do a response graph for that? i want to compare the response graph for the box sundown sent me vs the one you made. But so far the SA 10s look like they will get loudest out of all subs and be loud throughout the most important bandwidth for basslines the 30hz-50hz area it all stays up in the +6db range,

the zv3 has a very weird response graph..

Archived