[PLAYING!] 2 RE SX 18s on 2 RF T1500s 16 cube walled Saturn

Ooh gotcha. And no I got there at about noon and left about 2:30. Wish I coulda seen your stuff man!

And here's the pics as promised! Had a couple things that stunted progress today but I'm proud of how the panel turned out. I ended up going with the plan b design and got the blank-faced baffle cut as a press fit. Was really difficult doing it by myself but as this entire build has gone, I figure it out haha. Here's where we started today, Just a couple cardboard cutouts of the outside diameter of my RE's, tried a couple of placements to see which I like better.

IMAG0532_zpsydqipcoo.jpg

Not filtered or anything, this is just how it took for some reason.

IMAG0533_zpsebc4h7ng.jpg

Super blurry, but it gave me a rough idea

IMAG0536_zps8qygkmof.jpg

My second layout that I was considering. Being that my center console will be rather close to the bottom sub and could potentially wear, I'm sort of thinking of going the first route.

IMAG0537_zpsectf7kkh.jpg

And being a one-man operation, I had to figure out how to trap myself inside the box to get the exact shape of the inside of the box. Figured it'd be easier to hold the baffle while i traced the inside shape than to cut, remeasure, cut remeasure and end up with something that took twice as long and be only half as happy with the result.

IMAG0538_zps7es0fbsi.jpg

Sitting inside the box holding it with one hand while I trace around the perimeter with a pencil.

IMAG0541_zpsob4nuqoc.jpg

I tell you what, getting that in/out was a b****! Had to remove my parking brake lever and move my airbag sensor just to get the roughly cut piece in there

IMAG0543_zps9tsc7apc.jpg

The port is smaller than it will be eventually, I just wanted to get the piece's dimensions vertically and in the corner just right before finalizing the size of the port. Right now it's about 6 inches wide but it will be 7.5 inches wide when all's said and done. Lookin at 14 square inches of cross-sectional port area per cube.

IMAG0544_zpst71njb3h.jpg

Getting those corners just right paid off big time in the end. Had to tap it in with a rubber mallet but I'm planning on shaving about a 16th of an inch off the top to get it to slide in easier. I'll be using a flush-trim bit to copy it two more times over so I figured I'd make sure that it'll fit in well before potentially wasting $50 worth of wood.

IMAG0546_zps95jj7z6j.jpg

And about three hours later, here we are!

IMAG0545_zpswfcqay0e.jpg

Debating between the top one being centered

IMAG0547_zpsdtkd308b.jpg

or being slightly offset to make the whole thing a bit more symmetrical.

Also does anyone have thoughts on swappable ports? I'm considering having a permanent port affixed for a 45 Hz tuning for metering and having extensions that I could bolt in into bits of angle-iron that will also be permanently affixed to the box with holes that would match up with the longer ports for like 38 Hz and 32 Hz. Thoughts?

Offset looks better than the top being centered in my opinion.

Nav-TV Zen V Audio Interface

AudioControl DM-608

(2) Stevens Audio Neo-Comp Full-Size Horns

(4) Faital Pro 6PR160 6.5"

AudioControl LC-6.1200

(1) Fi Neo 4.7 15" D2 in 3.74 Cubic Feet @ 27.70 Hz

Ampere Audio AA3800.1

Odyssey ODP-AGM48 Battery (Starting)

Odyssey ODX-AGM31 Battery (Trunk)

Big 3 - 2\0 Welding Cable, KnuKonceptz Speaker Wire & 1/0 Power Cable, NVX RCAs, Second Skin (Speaker Tweaker Pads, Damplifier Pro Mat), Diode Dynamics LEDs

Anyone have input on the removable port board idea?

See no reason why not. Would give you the flexibility of having a louder metering setup as well as a daily demo setup. Gives you the best of both worlds, just keep in mind it may be a pain in the ass to get the removable port in and out being how small the car is haha. Really great work btw, killer skills

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

Anyone have input on the removable port board idea?

See no reason why not. Would give you the flexibility of having a louder metering setup as well as a daily demo setup. Gives you the best of both worlds, just keep in mind it may be a pain in the ass to get the removable port in and out being how small the car is haha. Really great work btw, killer skills
Thanks! And the port board would extend the permanent port by only 8 or so inches. Or should I just go with swapping the entire port?

I would place the woofers as close to the passenger side as possible imo, for functionality. For looks the second option is better.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

Awesome work man! Glad to see another Saturn on the forum. I plan on walling my Saturn one day but that's far in the future. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Fi Audio BL 15 (Sealed Off)
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400
- SkyHigh OFC power/speaker wire
- Big 3 with SkyHigh 0gauge
Build Log: Click Here

Scores: 146.5db @ 29hz Outlaw

Got some pictures for you all. I've decided against doing the swappable ports. I can just see them becoming a bigger headache than they're worth. I might do some initial testing with different size ports and then go with what I like best, but I feel like finding a permanent tuning and sticking with it will suit me better. Here's progress from today though.

IMAG0548_zpsvyixp0hl.jpg

Fresh sheet, ready to get cut up.

IMAG0549_zpsvzbg45p1.jpg

Got in the zone and got all three panels glued together and flush trimmed. It has to get love-tapped with a mallet to get into position but once it's there, it's pretty solid.

IMAG0550_zpseg0bl3x0.jpg

Mmm, layers on layers on layers... Layer-ception.

IMAG0551_zps8h5isfvr.jpg

First sub hole finished through. Learned a lesson though. When doing circle routing that will require runs from both sides, don't drill all the way through unless you have a device to make sure it's 100% level. Otherwise drill two pilot holes, one on each side as deep as your pin goes into the board. My end result looks kinda jank on the back-side but the subs fit pretty snug on the front so I'll take it!

IMAG0552_zpshl2nnl3e.jpg

Tweedledee feelin lonely, missing her other half.

IMAG0554_zpsgzc1rlj3.jpg

Reunited at last with Tweedledum!

IMAG0556_zps70faatab.jpg

Had to do a test fit! Too excited not to. Couldn't see how it looked first hand, had to go off of what the pictures looked like... You'll see why in a second haha

IMAG0558_zpsmrbz9sh1.jpg

Looks beautiful!

IMAG0559_zpspcwshzvg.jpg

Me hiding in the box, pretending to be a subwoofer... Actually I'm supporting the motors of the subs and holding them onto the wall while my helper took pictures.

IMAG0561_zpss3lsbj6h.jpg

Crawled out through the sub holes and called it a night a few hours ago. Pretty sore so I guess that means I got a lot done today right?

Archived