Trying to reliably cut big holes

Inetba

CstrokerV,

I'm missing your point when you say this, "unless he buys a base with the router which will be more expensive for a good one...".

I'm familiar with jigs in the 4' range, but I'm talking radii of 8 - 10 feet. Think about the gentle curve on the end of a 4 1/2 wide island. It doesn't really matter if you can envision this or not, the point I'm trying to make is that making a custom jig is stone simple, can be very cheap, and best of all....works!. I'm just throwing my experience out there so people who don't have all the fancy tools know that there are alternatives. I understand tool lust......I get it bad so can't fault anyone else for having it.

Yeah... I'm going to have to work on my woodworking skill... Visited the only shop in my area that sells jigs and their cheapest router was $320. Cheapest table? $500. I'm not looking to spend $1,000+ just to make A couple boxes, but I sure as hell aren't going to spend $350 and have a local shop make me a box when mdf is $30 per sheet.

Inetba,

Don't be discouraged by the high price of tools, either save and buy them as needed, or look for used tools that are still sound, but way cheaper. You can build your own router table way cheaper than $500 and if you shop around you can get a router like the Triton that is over 3 hp, variable speed, takes both 1/4" and 1/2" bits, and has a built in lift system. You still don't need a monster router for cutting holes though. My Jasper is attached to a 1 1/4 hp single speed Makita that works like a champ for this application. I have other bigger, fancier routers for heavier work, but cutting holes with a 1/4" bit is kids play.

Btw, the value of a finished product rarely has a clear correlation to the cost of the raw materials. Don't sell the real box builders short. Their work is half art, half science and they have overhead in tools and shops.

I use this

null_zps49e965b9.jpg

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

My penis is bigger than your penis

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.

I use a scrap of wood or aluminum. Drill a hole where you want it to pivot at the center of the hole and screw it down at that point. Measure out to where you want the edge of the hole and drill a large hole there for your electric reciprocating saw of choice to start at then screw the leading tip of the saw foot to the wood or aluminum scrap and start cutting.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-Amp-Heavy-Duty-Variable-Speed-Rotating-Handle-Reciprocating-Saw-62370.html

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

So I finished my first sub enclosure and I realized something. I am horrible at following lines.

I've been reading around and a lot of people recommend a router and something called a "circle jig"?

My question is, I know not every jig works with every router, do you guys have a recommended jig and router combo?

I don't have a lot of time for hobbies, so I'm willing to spend a little more if it means saving an hour.

Also, any corner clamps you guys recommend?

Don't know if it's been suggested. But go to Home depot, grab a small sheet of thin acrylic, like 1/4" thick. Drill holes in it, countersink the holes, mount to bottom of router. Then drill a hole at the radius you want. Probably the best ~$12 you'll spend. Haha.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

I don't mean to sell the real box builders short, I've seen their work and it is ABSOLUTELY worth every penny. I've done a lot of business with this shop and they always give me a hell of a bargain so i know they wouldn't be making a lot of money off the box.I

My whole thing is I plan on making a TON of boxes because I don't know what designs I like. I also want to learn more about 4th orders, etc and I can't afford to drop $350 every time I want a box.

I'm really liking that acrylic idea. If I get a big enough piece, I can make multiple holes for multiple hole sizes. I just don't know if I trust my measurements. That tool maker jig looks INCREDIBLE.

If they made something like the jasper jig, but for jigsaws, that would be the best solution. However when I was building my box, accidentally making the holes too big is much worse than making them too small and I'm horrible at following lines so it ended up taking me a little over an hour to cut the hole for my one fifteen.

I don't get very many days off work, so anything to speed up the process is what I need. My next box is going to have two 6.25" holes and two 13.875" holes. As for not having a lot of use for it, I plan on making many many speaker boxes and after my friend sees my dual 15 speaker box, he will probably want one for himself. If I can cut down the time it takes to make a box from 7 hours to even three hours (corner clamps would've also helped with that) then I could probably make my money back by making boxes. All the local shops charge $350 for a custom box and I can charge a lot less than that.

hell, you could just use a nail and a string tied to the jigsaw. lol

i never bought a jig. just mounted a piece of wood to my router and measured for the holes I needed.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

The toolmaker jig is awesome. my buddy has one. It's about $130 IIRC. Don't quote me on that. Measuring the proper radius on the acrylic is easy. I have a big blue T-square they sell at Lowes for like $11. and I put the bit in the corner of it, and drill a hole at the distance I need. So that way I'm easily factoring the bit width into the cutout diameter.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

Archived