Second Skin Audio

Help deisigning t-line or 4th order

tripsicks

12 inch Fi Q, 1500 watts, need help with box design, looking for t-line or band pass, maximum response

a little back story

So for the past, maybe 6-7 years, I've been using my 18" triple stack/fully optioned old school Fi BTL, running 4kw RMS, 4 batteries, 6.7 cubes @31hz to daily ground pound was doing 147.7 @34hz, had awesome response to almost EVERYTHING i listened to, this was in my 2003 Denali, took up my whole trunk space, essentially turning it in to a 4 seater.

I just picked up a new to me Escalade platinum, i couldn't bring myself to put that whole system in the escalade, so i picked up a 12" Fi Q, dual 1 ohm, i'm running 1500 watts to it, which i know might be a little low, the box is 2.3 cubes tuned to 33hz, and its extremely disappointing to me. terrible response to highs, lows, the frequencies it does hit nice are all over the place. so I'm looking to build a T-line or band pass enclosure, but i have no idea where to start, i've been "out of the game" for too long having a nice consistent system that was good to me for so long i never had to change anything or keep up on whats new.

I don't know for sure that these will solve my problem, my current box I drew up quickly on reaudios box calculator, 24x24x10 maybe, sub up port back 13 sq inches of port per cubic foot

All I really know is this sub barely hits anything, I understand fully that it will not hit like the 18, but I know there's more potential for this sub

it still seems like some frequencies just "aren't there" when playing, the sub is definitely moving, but the output is not there.

i'm just looking to get the most output from this sub, and what i've found a t-line or bandpass box will definitely maximize this woofers performance. I don't think i have the skill to design it myself, and i can't seem to find any websites/companies offering the service

it still seems like some frequencies just "aren't there" when playing, the sub is definitely moving, but the output is not there.

i'm just looking to get the most output from this sub, and what i've found a t-line or bandpass box will definitely maximize this woofers performance. I don't think i have the skill to design it myself, and i can't seem to find any websites/companies offering the service

T-lines and band pass boxes are not magic. Enclosure efficiency is directly related to enclosure size. If output is your primary goal a large, well designed ported box is VERY hard to beat.

Just because your current ported box isn't doing what you want doesn't mean a different ported box won't either.

Have you tried moving your box around? Is it possible you are getting some cancelation issues due to placement?

You say some frequencies "aren't there". Have you tried playing around with a tone generator so you know exactly what frequencies those are?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

i have moved it around, i have used a tone generator to see what it responds best to but didn't record down all the numbers.

the real problem i have is the overall output this thing isn't even close to as musical as my previous BTL, definitely want to be clear that i am NOT saying that its not as loud as the 18

i know that it won't be even close to that loud, i just want it to sound as good/accurate

Have you checked the tuning on your box? You may be tuned higher than you intend.

If you could tell us what frequencies your box hits and what ones it misses it would help.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived