Will grounding rca's stop static noise?

You could if you take the HU backplate off, but if you have any kind of warranty just go ahead and send it in. But it still doesn't make sense for that to be your issue of the RCA's aren't even hooked up to the amplifier that powers the speakers that the noise is coming from. Sounds more like your speaker wire is pinched. Or it's running with the RCA's and the shielding isn't enough to prevent noise.

I agree with Reedal on the shielding. Make sure your amp can use the twisted RCAs, if it can then make sure that you have RCAs that have lots of shielding built in as well. Definitely check all ground connections and make sure that they're solid and there is nothing, not even paint within the connections.

Semper Fi,

Jerad

Like I said.

If you have to ground out your RCA cables, that is just a quick fix to a bigger problem.

Hot swapping cables can be very damaging to the point of blowing the driver boards on your amp as well besides just blowing the pico fuse on the headunit.

Which is most likely how Gorilla messed up his radio.

I looked in your build log and it appears that your using twisted style rca cables.

looks like you have a kenwood headunit and the problem is notorious on pioneers from people hot swapping because they fuse the ground and usually ground out the center pin of the rca while unplugging and plugging in the cables.

To test if it is a problem on your radio all you really need to do is take a multimeter and put it on a continuity test (the test where it beeps when you touch the probes together), then take 1 probe ground it on the radio chassis or any ground, and take the other probe and put it on the outer rca plug. If it beeps its not the pico fuse because a ground is present through the rca cables then.

Since the issue is present with the cables unplugged I wouldnt think it would be the cables unless the amp is some how picking up interference being so close to the battery but that would be a first imo.

So maybe pull the amp out and bench test it in the garage without using anything from the car to make sure that there is not an issue with the amp.

Archived