Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Up firing passive radiator 5th/7th order????


Recommended Posts

Posted

Okay so I'm going to be building a 5th order using passive radiators to control the hpf and the ski port for my lpf. Passive radiators are often times on the side or back of a normal sealed box and I'm aware of complications of down firing passive radiators but what about having passive radiators up firing obviously not worried about trunk rattle since all the pressure will be contained and exhorted out the ski port so my question is can I mount them at the top of the box on the sides chambers where the subs are contained which will be firing towards the middle chamber as most band pass do or would this end up being a 7th to be able to implement that that is if they are able to be mounted this way since I have not seen them mounted this way. Just a second generation Car audio enthusiast looking to over complicate and make some people confused and wowed with my system lol Hmmmm

Posted

BTW will be using 2 15" emf ermagerd v2s when there released lol in a 1999 Grand Prix Gt just getting my ideas together for the release of it and obviously going to need 4 custom 15" passives

Posted

Honestly I don't know if you have just been reading too much and in the wrong places, or someone is just dusting off the ole' troll account.

Assuming its the former, what you are taking about will not work, for a number of reasons. For a start, that is not what passive radiators do.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

This is a very interesting concept that we have done some experimenting with. It works very well to get a large amount of output from a small cabinet. Using a single light PR for the high frequency chamber and a a pair of PR's for the low frequency chamber of a 6th order bandpass enclosure works extremely well. The trick is actually to get a light enough PR to use in the HF section.this time I'm using a ski port for the LF and I was wanting to see for box fitting reasons if the passive radiators are capable of top mount instead of side mounting without sag or any problems haven't tried this approach yet no trolling just complicated

Posted

Im I the only one that has never heard of a 5th or 7th order? And you want to run 2 subs that cost more than your whole car? Another dream build that will never hapoen

Used to have a loud truck

2009 Corvette Z06, H/C/I, 150 shot, g force tune, 730rwhp/690rwtq

2013 F-150 limited, MPT Tune, leveled on 35"s

Posted

Actually I am lol and many car enthusiasts own a system more expensive than there car I bought this car because I loved the car and wanted it so I bought it that simple I just recently at 134,000 miles replaced the engine with a $5000 dollar brand new engine and about to do a top swab to add a gtp supercharger rebuilt and a turbo looking to get this car to at least 400hp by the end of the year so yeah try calling me out tell me I don't have the money or that I'm a troll but when you have money time and the love for audio and cars and the drive to do it yourself you get what you want enough said I asked a simple question can a passive radiator be mounted facing vertical towards the top hatch. why is your first reaction is to discard the information provided as bs the system is nice but in no way impossible or unrealistic welcome to smd where we push the envelope and out wallets lol and yes 5 and 7th order has been used for decades my father has had both he used to go to nationals ever year back in the 90s this isn't a new idea

Posted

Post

Seventh order systems are a sixth order units with an inductor capacitor or resistor in line. Typically a seventh order system is a (parallel ported) sixth order bandpass box with an inductor in line to it. It is possible to use a capacitor in line instead, to decouple the amplifier's damping, but since there is not much useful documentation of this technique, we always modeled it, then fiddle with the value until we got the curve we wanted.

Fifth order, predictably enough, is a fourth with an in line passive element. The benefit of this in-line inductor approach is a better cut-off of out-of-band noise, reducing the garbage that bounces out through the port. Using capacitors, 500 to 2,500 uf is the most useful range, at at least 100 volts. Motor starting capacitors do the job handsomely, and are cheap as hell.

Posted

I've already invested $12,000 in this car I didn't want a grand am or trams am due to the smaller trunks although the grand prix only has 5 1/4 stock front speakers compared to the grand ams 6.5 but that will change once I start fiberglassing up some kicks and door panels

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 422 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...