Second Skin Audio

reedal needs some assistance with the enclosure

reedal

So its come time for a new enclosure that's actually built by yours truly and the right size for my SoundQubed HDS312's. I have no issues with my 3 year old pre-fab tuned to 40hz, but it's time to let it go and give these woofers some space.

8444EE35-CBF5-4A5F-A824-1711B96ABB3F_zps

So now I'd like some feedback from some of the gurus and magicians who know enclosure design better than most ;)

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe

Outer dimensions in inches: 16.75 height X 48 width X 20 long (7.593 gross)

Port dimensions: 14.5 high X 7 wide, 30.25 long (center port= 13.25 down the center, then "T" out with 8.5 each side)

Tuning= ~36hz after displacements

net volume= 4.853

Orientation= subs up port back, double baffle not included in dimensions, wont affect net airspace. bracing not factored in.

Power applied= 2600w @ 2ohms

Let me know what you think. Its not like I dont have enough room behind the second row to tweak the size if I need to. Thank you.

Sounds good other than I think you are going to be tuned higher than you intend.

Since your design doesn't have a common chamber you have to calculate the port tuning as a 2.43 cu ft chamber with 50.75 sq in of port instead of a 4.85 cu ft chamber with 101.5 sq in of port. This means you port need to be 27.75" in length instead of 21.75" to get a 36 Hz tuning.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Sounds good other than I think you are going to be tuned higher than you intend.

Since your design doesn't have a common chamber you have to calculate the port tuning as a 2.43 cu ft chamber with 50.75 sq in of port instead of a 4.85 cu ft chamber with 101.5 sq in of port. This means you port need to be 27.75" in length instead of 21.75" to get a 36 Hz tuning.

Ok. So if I add a little more volume, tuning should go down right? I'd rather adjust the height, I can play with debt, but the width is maxed out and I'd like to keep it that way. I'd make the port a 6" longer but I think that would put it too close to the inner wall.

Did the whole calculation:

Fb = 36.3 Hz

Vb = 4.93 ft^3

Sv = 101.5 square inches.

Specs are basically as stated above.

Curious about how you picked the box form factor and the port area.

Box form factor? Not sure what that means.

For the port area: as many port area discussions as have been on this forum, I figured start off large. Large enough to keep velocity down.

Ok. So if I add a little more volume, tuning should go down right? I'd rather adjust the height, I can play with debt, but the width is maxed out and I'd like to keep it that way. I'd make the port a 6" longer but I think that would put it too close to the inner wall.

Yeah, more volume will lower your tuning, a little bit.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Box height to width to depth ratio, forget about this if you just picked your dimensions to your likings.

Oh ok. I wanted it to be from panel to panel in width, which is 48.x, so I went with a solid 48. As for the height and depth, tall enough to keep a good port ratio since that seems pretty important from the info I've gathered from you two, and I don't feel confident enough to try anything but a slot port. And depth was just that size to meet the volume requirements as stated by you & others in other threads (4.5-5 cubes net per two hds312). Is that a bad ratio for the enclosure or something? I would like to know why you asked, and why that ratio is important.

Yeah, more volume will lower your tuning, a little bit.

Ok. I can make it 12" deeper or 6" taller (not that I'll need more than an inch I don't think), but with joe asking about the ratio, I'd like to understand the significance of that before I adjust the size either way.

I didn't realize that a center port with each sub having its own port wall meeting in the middle made it separate chambers and factored differently. Thank you for that info.

What would be a good material to use instead of MDF that I can get from Home Depot or lowes? I don't care for MDF much after using 1/2" for my amp rack and door pods

I went ahead and tweaked the dimensions some. But I'd still like to understand the box form factor

Capture_zpsuzxws9qp.jpg

Archived