Looking for some opinions on 8" SQ woofers

caraudiochris

I am looking at putting three 8" subs in my car and will powering them with about 500 watts of power. Need something that would be efficient, light cone, very accurate that would work in a ported box.

I have used JL W3v2's in the past but I haven't heard the new v3's. I know JBL made a decent 8" but not very efficient. I would like to be in the 90's if possible. Any recommendations?

It will be put on this shelf where the carpet is in this picture. (Not my car just for reference)

4771123797_5696358c8c.jpg

I miss the '90s too man, I'd also like to be there. Those were my teen years.

90's? What does my post have to do with that? lol

I am looking at putting three 8" subs in my car and will powering them with about 500 watts of power. Need something that would be efficient, light cone, very accurate that would work in a ported box.

I have used JL W3v2's in the past but I haven't heard the new v3's. I know JBL made a decent 8" but not very efficient. I would like to be in the 90's if possible. Any recommendations?

It will be put on this shelf where the carpet is in this picture. (Not my car just for reference)

OH HAHAHA I meant efficiency not the year. I didn't catch that I apologize.

I'm running Linear Power subs (formerly Blues Car Audio) in my ride ... You should know about them being from Stillwater ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I'm running Linear Power subs (formerly Blues Car Audio) in my ride ... You should know about them being from Stillwater ...

wow... you still have Blues stuff! I was just talking to some of the guys at Kicker about Blues.. Thats a name I haven't "heard"(pun intended) in a while... There are many companies here in Stillwater that have a nice car audio history here. B)

Check out my Chevy's build log ... link should be on my sig.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

I'd like to see a pair of 8" ISO-Kits back there ...

Just saying

90db is a hard target unless you go pro audio in which you give up xmax and typically motor strength too because a lot of pro audio drivers are used as pairs or quads.

http://www.parts-express.com/tymphany-ne225w-08-8-subwoofer-speaker--264-1138

that comes in at 87. Dunno if it would work best in a ported box I would have to model it. You could make a guess with QES I suppose...

http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/american-bass-vfl-8d-inch-400w-rms-dvc-subwoofer.html

88db.

words like "accuracy" to me really come back to control. If you have a strong motor you will have a "accurate" sub. Although "control" can also talk to how well you designed your ported enclosure and things like that. "accurate or accuracy" is sometimes confusing.

Most of the time when people talk about accuracy they are selling you something they don't understand fully. But then again I don't think accuracy is a term you wanna use when you are talking about subs. (take that for what its worth its a opinion and based upon my own knowledge which is never complete nor 100% accurate all the time)

But more importantly...if you have the scratch the ISO kits are awesome. Also buy some LP amps too so I can drool over them.

Also if you are going with three drivers efficiency will be gained I would think, with the right enclosure. Also stepping up to 10" or 12" drivers gives you a LOT more options.

Archived