Second Skin Audio

Is this box to big for my sub?

Hi I have a solo x 10 and it sounds terrible. It bottoms out and has severe port noise and the voice coil starts to smell after 5 minutes. So I stopped playing it. 33w 16h 18d. Port 3w 14 1/2h 21 1/4 in length. I don't know how to correctly measure the L port so I measure both sides and added it together. Material thickness is .75. I can get internal dimensions if needed. Thank you for your help I really would appreciate it. I rather spend money on a new box than new subs.

Measure the length of the port down the center. While I'm no expert, I would say that's wayyyyy to much volume for that sub. 4.9 ft^3 without calculating displacements. Not sure what that port makes your tuning since I don't have a enclosure calculator in front of me right now (the tuning could be another reason for bottoming out depending on the music you listen to). But that enclosure is large enough for two 12's on rated power. What amp are you using to power it?

Based on your dimensions your box specs are roughly 3.25 cu ft net airspace tuned to 35 Hz. That sounds huge for a single 10" but I know those SoloX subs have a little different box requirements. How much power are you running?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

How much power? Do you use a subsonic filter? If you make the coil smelly you are giving it more power than it can handle. IMO that box probably isn't too far out of line after you figure displacement of the sub, wood, and port it's maybe 3.25-3.5 cube, which is large but not way out of line for that cone area.

How much power? Do you use a subsonic filter? If you make the coil smelly you are giving it more power than it can handle. IMO that box probably isn't too far out of line after you figure displacement of the sub, wood, and port it's maybe 3.25-3.5 cube, which is large but not way out of line for that cone area.

I'm running a ct 2200.1. And i got my subsonic set to where I think it should be. It just sounds horrible and as soon as I smelt coil after a couple times I quit running it till I can get this figured out. I don't want to ruin something that could be fixed. It was a big disappointment.

Archived