Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

2013 Super Duty Build (Triticum, Joe X)


strocket

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey guys,

Still working on the Tundra box, however, I have a new build that I am working on. This one is for a friend. The truck is a 2013 Super Duty. I have done a bunch of read on other forums for ideas to get me started. Of course, everyone had used pre-built boxes. This build is for the most part pretty common, but does require a bit of creativity as room behind the seat is very very tight. Triticum this is going to be very similar to the Tundra box but I am really worried about finding enough room for a driver. I know that the proper way to build is to start with the box and then pick the driver but I think were going to be forced to run a 6.5" or a shallow mount. I found a picture of a generic box with some dimension to get an idea of the space I have to work with. I wanted yalls thoughts on driver selection. I want this to be a ported design. Based on the specs online the box I posted below is roughly 1.4 Cu Ft.

_57_zps5s2aegyy.jpg

Posted

I'm not really worried about how many subs is used. I drew up a design for one Alpine SWR-T10 in a ported enclosure. It requires .6 after displacement which is exactly what my net comes out to. I have never done a box like this before, but because of the space behind the seats being an issue this was the only option I had for the port.

pic1_zpsqqjrchqf.jpg

Everything on the left side of the dotted line is the driver space and then the space on the right side of the dotted line is port area. I'm not even sure if that works out lol. Here are some other views...

pic2_zpsmi5peguv.jpg

pic3_zpslcidoxia.jpg

I loaded everything into WinISD and ran some different port sizes and frequencies. It seems that I am going to have to either sacrifice port area increase net box volume, or move to a higher frequency in order for me to have enough space for the length of the port.

The picture below is a net of .6 (which is what is recommended by alpine) tuned to 35 Hz. Obviously at 54" there is not enough room for the port.

pic4_zps5sx5wehr.jpg

This is 1.0 of net space tuned to 35Hz. I have 30" of length for the port so this would actually work if I could find .4 more cubic feet of space.

pic5_zpsx8qirlou.jpg

This is the only way I would be able to make everything work. This is with .6 net space, but tuned to 45Hz.

pic6_zps8a3tmvcd.jpg

Since I had to make the port a different size where it turns to get vertical the shape had to change a little bit. It still has the the same cross area though. I was a little concerned with it only being an inch and half wide so I ran another model with the funky port size to see if I would get any port noise. This is what I came up with....

pic7_zpsopgwubzc.jpg

I would really like to keep the box tuned to 35Hz, which leaves me making the box bigger. I have no clue where I am going to find .4 cubes. What are yall's thoughts on poly-fill?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Posted

What an awful space to try to work with.

Poly-fill doesn't make a box bigger, it just lowers its QTC and that doesn't work with ported boxes anyway.

How much power are you going to be running?

In your situation I'd be tempted to build the box out of 5/8" plywood instead of 3/4" MDF. With some bracing it should be just as strong and should gain you some internal volume. It will add a bit to the cost though.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

I was looking to run around 650W. I came up with the idea of moving the seat belt reel up and possibly clearing the top of the box giving me that whole space to the left side of the port. I think with that and taking your idea of going to plywood I could get that cube that I'm hoping for. Actually now that I am looking at it If I can open that space up I could also use that space around the port. I should have over a cubic foot at that point. How are you think about those models? Do you know of a better shallow mount that would work better in this situation?

Posted

I think the Alpine SWR-T10 should be a pretty good choice. There just aren't a lot of great shallow mount subs, especially in that power range. Your box with 1 cu ft at 35 hz looks pretty decent IMHO.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Well I redesigned the box and found a lot more room. I managed to squeeze out 1.1 cu. ft. of net air space. The new model is posted below. Didn't change much.

new%20box_zpsabkclqkl.jpg

What has really been bugging me is the port. I posted some pictures. The lower section of the port is long and the upper section of the port attaches about 75% of the way down. Seems restrictive. Obviously all edges are going to be rounded over but forgot to put it in the drawing. Whats your input on that?

Port%20Pic2_zpsltwndifa.png

Port%20Pic_zpspx2dqnqi.png

Posted

Yeah the layout of the port does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I'd see if you can come up with something a little different. Keep in mind the port doesn't have to be square/rectangular. It can be irregularly shaped and it can change in shape as long as the port area remains the same. Have you considered just firing the port out the side?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Yeah the layout of the port does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I'd see if you can come up with something a little different. Keep in mind the port doesn't have to be square/rectangular. It can be irregularly shaped and it can change in shape as long as the port area remains the same. Have you considered just firing the port out the side?

I would think that firing towards the side would help sound quality wise, unless the side of the box is directly against the side of the cab. I had a 4th order box designed for my Explorer that fit behind the third row that sounded pretty good, but didn't get very loud because the port was firing straight up and had nothing to load against.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6182 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...