Can anyone help me with video format for my double din?

Hey everyone,

I just purchased a Pioneer AVH-X4700BS double din. My ultimate goal was to make use of the video playback from a USB device. I've tested some DVD's and they play great. Now I'm trying to get video to play from USB and that's where my trouble begins.

*I formatted my USB to FAT32 already...I didn't do a quick format, I did it through Command Prompt on Windows 7

*My videos in MP4 format would not play, so I googled a fix. Everyone says to convert the videos to "Home Theatre" output using DivX converter. I tried this and put the converted videos on my USB and it still said "unplayable file" on my screen.

*I made sure I manually selected on my touchscreen, the video playback option. (It makes you choose between audio, video and pictures)

*I just went through the owners manual appendix and found this little gem: "DivX files on the USB storage device cannot be played".

*File formats compatible with USB are listed as follows:

.avi

640x360 pixels

max frame rate 30fps

max file size 2gb

max playback time 150 min

.mp4

640x360

30fps

2gb

150 min

.3gp

640x360

30fps

2gb

150 min

.mkv

640x360

30fps

2gb

150 min

.mov

640x360

30fps

2gb

150 min

*One of the videos I am trying to play is .MP4, 480x360, 29fps, 9.56MB, 2 min 39 seconds long and even when I put this video by itself, the headunit still says "unplayable file".

Any thoughts on what format might work best for Pioneer?

EDIT: It should be noted that if I put my MP3 music on the USB, it all plays. Not sure if that helps us figure this out but I didn't want to leave it out.

4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm

Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm

32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications

XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator

I use DivX and have some videos formatted to ipad mp4 i think it was, but the videos will lag some times and not flow as smoothly as you would expect them to.

I have yet to try and record video on dvd and see how well that goes over the usb lagginess that seems to happen.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

I use DivX and have some videos formatted to ipad mp4 i think it was, but the videos will lag some times and not flow as smoothly as you would expect them to.

I have yet to try and record video on dvd and see how well that goes over the usb lagginess that seems to happen.

Mine doesn't even do that much. I can read the title of the video on the USB but if i click to play it, it does nothing at all...just pops up a message saying "unplayable file"

I could burn all my music videos to DVD and play them that way but 1. I couldn't add or remove videos later on and 2. I couldn't fit as many videos on a DVD as I could USB.

Update: I solved the problem myself. I downloaded a program called Handbrake after reading about it during some googling. I used handbrake to resize my MP4 files. I uploaded my source videos to Handbrake, selected picture size 600 width and it automatically sets the height for you. Then under video settings I switched the codec from H.264 (x264) to MPEG-4 and clicked start. I tested three videos this way and they all play on my flash drive now. THANK GOD because I was working at this for hours yesterday and today.

No problems at all playing video through my usb on my Kenwood.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

It had been a few months since i last did mine and do not remember exactly what the true size was but it is certainly not a common one that you would think they would use.

I found that the max width you can convert to is definitely 640. It auto sets the height for you though. I also found that in handbrake, under the video tab, manually setting the average bitrate to 900 kbps produces the clearest image, with no pixelation. I only mention this because some videos turned out a little splotchy...but changing the bitrate when converting the videos solved that.

No problems at all playing video through my usb on my Kenwood.

Forgive me for asking but I'm not so sure how this was supposed to help. Care to elaborate?

• 1 year later...

Archived