Second Skin Audio

Coil Burn

Lakeshow94

98 camry, 160 amp ho singer alt, stinger 0 gauge, rockford t1500 at one ohm, ct sounds meso 15", interstate battery mt7-r, xs d975, 3.25 cubic foot box tuned to 31. I've been running the sub for about a month. Set gain with dd-1 at -5 db. On a regular day going to work or school (15 minutes), it plays just fine. Drove for an hour or so the other day, and there was a strong smell of coil coming from the port as well as the dustcap was pretty hot. Any ideas what the cause would be? or could 1976 rms at 14.4 (one ohm on birthsheet) be too much for the meso?

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Singer 240 Amp (Will be installed later)

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds 6.5 Meso Components

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

Might be overpowering the sub, might be dirty source (music), maybe a poorly designed box. What does your voltage look like, what are you playing, what is going on when it starts to heat up too much?

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

I am overpowering the sub, but from what I understand they can handle far more than 1500. They were intended to be ran off the at 1400.1d as daily. Not sure about the box, I had it designed by ram designs and built to what he designed. From what I understand though it looks fairly accurate and decent (bracing in the box, curved 90 degree angles etc). Music is alot of rap. MP3 format. None of which is boosted, tech n9ne, ice cube, rittz, murs etc. Voltage is always above 13.8 when driving. Still have a voltage drop at idle but ive been tuning it down at stop lights etc. When you ask what is going on I'm not sure what you mean. I was playing music for an hour while driving around and when I parked and checked the box I could smell a strong smell of coil coming from the port.

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

Clipping.

Even though you set your gain properly some music is louder than others and can drive the amp into clipping.

Also clipping can be present in the music you are listening too which is pretty common these days.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Clipping.

Even though you set your gain properly some music is louder than others and can drive the amp into clipping.

Also clipping can be present in the music you are listening too which is pretty common these days.

For that reason in itself would you recommend tuning at -10 db? or -15? Also do you know of an accurate way to test if a song is causing clipping?

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

You can run your music through audacity.

You could play around with the overlaps as well but I'm willing to bet it's whatever you were listening too.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

You can run your music through audacity.

You could play around with the overlaps as well but I'm willing to bet it's whatever you were listening too.

jesus christ............. alot of that is running around -3 db to 0 db if not higher. yup that'd do it.........

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

Is there anyway to alter music to remove the clipping?

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

What modern music doesn't clip then? Pretty much anything that I listed above set off the clip indicator on audacity. I feel like there is probably alot of other people that listen to similar music but don't have similar problems..........

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

Archived