Second Skin Audio

Coil Burn

Lakeshow94

Yeah audio gear takes a huge hit when selling used.

The big killer is you can get those amps way cheaper than what you paid new.

I paid $500 new for the one I had.

Did you know a local dealer? I called around to a couple shops but most places were pretty firm at 800.

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Singer 240 Amp (Will be installed later)

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds 6.5 Meso Components

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

Yes I do but you can get similar deals even without knowing someone.

I have never paid retail for any of the Rockford stuff I've had and I've bought at many different places over the years.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Yes I do but you can get similar deals even without knowing someone.

I have never paid retail for any of the Rockford stuff I've had and I've bought at many different places over the years.

What's your method if you dont mind me asking? lol

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

Money talks.

It's hard for any salesman to say no when you put cash on the counter.

Sometimes stores will have really good sales too.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Money talks.

It's hard for any salesman to say no when you put cash on the counter.

Sometimes stores will have really good sales too.

I'll keep that in mind. Idk its worth the 100 mile drive to find a sundown dealer though. I'd be much more inclined to get a scv3000 sooner if I could get one for around the 600 dollar mark

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

A lot of the online dealers have sales right now.

I know ssa sells sundown and they have a 10% off sale right now.

I doubt its power. The me so 15 is a 2000 RMS woofer. Many people run far more at those. Broke audio addict and fanatics had the right idea.

Yes, it is power and only power that makes heat. If OP is clipping he is getting more power than he thinks, if the sub isn't moving much cooling is reduced, but at the end of the day he's putting in heat faster than it can shed it. Just because somebody has an amp rated for "far more" power doesn't mean that they're ever delivering anything near rated power to their sub(s).

I don't know how you define "2000W" woofer? Is that, hook it up to an amp rated 2000W and count on impedance being well above nominal? Is it playing pink noise or a Johnny Cash CD? Or is it running out and buying a Young Jeezy CD or other "music" with a bass line that's basically a 3 minute sine wave?

Look at Sundown's ratings for example, they are based on 50hz sine wave of that much clamped power IIRC at least 10 minutes straight.... essentially "retard proof". Testing and rating accordingly ensures that you won't get a lot of warranty claims and if you do you can be 99.9% confident that it was abuse that killed the speaker.

What I meant is in my situation I doubt its excessive clean power. From my understanding/experience this sub can handle more than 2000 clean watts. I think my biggest issue was clipped/dirty power. Audibly my system doesn't seem that much quieter, although the dust cap went from getting too hot to touch, to now fairly cool/slightly warm after I play for awhile. I plan to get a scv 3000d in the future and I'll see how that does on this sub.

Power is power. Try to read up on how AC power is calculated and see what happens as you begin to clip. 2000W is more power than the large burner on an electric range. It's simply a lot of heat and there are few if any 3" 4 layer coil woofers that can take that for too long. So yes, a hard clipped signal is automatically giving you about 30% more effective power (and also decreases cooling performance slightly), but keep in mind if you're playing music happily with your amp making 1000W then try to give it one more click on the head unit your amp is now making around 1400, another volume click and it's trying to make 2000 (give or take depending on the head unit but a 0-35 dial is around 1.5dB per click)

Naught for nothing but you can buy used Korean 5K amps for 800$ any day of the week.

Clipping not only can cause an increase in power (up to double in some cases) it causes the speaker to sit still in those flat spots which in turn causes it to not cool properly.

So yes clipping is causing the damage by overpowering the speaker.

More power + less cooling= a bad day to be a speaker.

Never double. A regular sine wave vs a completely square wave is .707. Still though this is true that cooling suffers, though if you took a well made 3" 4 layer coil sub and gave it a 500W clamped power square wave in the morning then went to work the sub would still be playing when you got home.

Archived