Small RF System (Need Guidance & Advice fine tuning)

Keagan-Z06

Hi Everyone,

Took me a while but I finally ran into SMD website since lately I've been upgrading my car audio for my 06 Avalanche. I don't have anything wild and probably will keep it this way until I can get the bigger bucks. I sure wish I had found this site before I went ahead and got what I have in now. Nevertheless I am content at the moment. I have a couple questions from browsing for the past 2 weeks on this site and watching all of Steve's tutorial and build videos.

My build:

HU: Pioneer AVH X4500BT (Will upgrade to NEX 4100)

Subwoofers: 2 Rockford 10" R2SD4-10 Shallow 4ohm DVC

Enclosure: Dual Sealed

Amplifier: P500-1bd

Wired: @ 1ohm using 4gauge wires (500RMS)

Door Speakers:

Rear: Polk Audio db651s Coaxial

Front: Db6501 Components

Amplifier: Pioneer GM A5602

Wired: @ 4ohms (150RMS)

Like I said nothing too wild but a great improvement over factory. I already know for one after watching Steve do his thing, I want and NEED a DD-1, two) I want and NEED OM-1s. Lol

Questions:

1) Since Im wired 1ohm using the above amp using the RF wiring guide for the above subs. Would I need 2 OM-1 to reflect 2 subs output or just 1.

2) When adjusting gain for mids & high, seeing that I have what I believe is a passive crossover, I tried doing this "by ear" and man do the tweets scream, don't even think I heard the mids, I don't even think the gain was even quarter of the way up before I had to back off. I know this wasn't the most efficient way of tuning but until I can get the DD-1, are the polks that loud that the gain would not even need to be adjusted that much even when using the DD-1?

Sorry for the long first thread. Ill post pictures when I can.

Thanks,

Keagan

HU: Pioneer 4100 NEX
Subs: 2 Rockford Fosgate R2SD4-10"
Amp: Rockford Fosgate P500-1bd wired @ 1ohm
Front: Polk Audio Components DB6501
Amp: Pioneer GM A5602 wired @ 4 ohm
Rear: Polk Audio Coaxials db651s
(2) OM-1s, (1) VM-1

1) just one OM-1 since the subs will see the exact same output being it is a single monoblock amp powering them.

2) don't adjust your gain until you can do it properly. But also, there's sometimes an attenuator switch on the crossovers allowing you to attenuate the tweeters by -3dB or -6db

Thanks man, I do have -3,0,+3 on the crossover for the polks. I'll mess with those when I get the DD-1. Hopefully will be ordering both today. Sick of my friend telling me he is better tuned. Although I'm assuming he does it by ear as well.

(2) OM-1s, (1) VM-1

Should of asked this earlier, the pioneer amp has a LPF, I normally have this off but when I do turn it on it seems to kill the components almost completely and leave the coaxials playing. Is this normal behavior or am I missing something? The Coaxials are not powered by the amp.

(2) OM-1s, (1) VM-1

Nice! Thanks for the help!