Second Skin Audio

passive radiator design

towncarblue

helloo.

ive recently did a sealed box setup of two e10's [sundown audio] . the subs are brand new so they sound better each day. being sealed

they dont go too deep, or the subs are still too stiff...... dont know yet

i recently put up a thread about a sub box design needed for a stereo integrity mag v3.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200345-need-help-picking-subdesign-aero-port-got-a-big-headache/page-2#entry3023922

after alot of research and help from Triticum Agricolam and joeX , they gave me some good sub box designs but space was a big factor for my vehicle.

im now considering a passive radiator design for the si mag v3.

unfortunately i dont know anything about passive radiators ?

can someone please give me info on passive radiators as well as info on how to design one ?

So passive radiators function more or less like ports do. The advantage of them is they take up a lot less volume than a port would and you don't have to worry about any port velocity issues. Also changing their tuning frequency is as easy as adding or removing some weights. Their disadvantages are they are something else you have to buy, they are a little less efficient than a port, and they take up more space on the face of the box than a port does.

Generally speaking you need about twice as much (and up to three times as much) passive radiator displacement as you have cone displacement. So if you have a 12" sub with 500 sq cm of cone area and 15 mm of Xmax you would need two passive radiators with similar specs, or one with the same cone area but double the Xmax, or double the cone area (so like an 18") and the same Xmax.

Because of the above, going with passive radiators is probably not going to be the easy solution you were hoping for.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived