Second Skin Audio

Can wire guage affect performance exponentially?

Zbak

check the voltage drop at the amp while playing something bass intensive.... i was using a very short run of 8awg from a 4awg d-block and my voltage drop was unacceptable at 3vdc and it went to 1vdc when I ditched the short 8awg runs and went 4awg straight into amp.... I can only imagine what your drop is using a straight 8awg run..... this is added strain and causes the amp to heat up and or fail

Yes, the size of the wire does matter to the amount of power you're trying to produce.

You should use at least 1/0. That 8ga wire won't even carry enough current to supply that amp with what it needs to create the "2000wrms" it claims.

Yes, the size of the wire does matter to the amount of power you're trying to produce.

You should use at least 1/0. That 8ga wire won't even carry enough current to supply that amp with what it needs to create the "2000wrms" it claims.

It came with a certificate of 1050 something rms cea rated and that's at strict guidelines so yeah it's a power hungry amp and all I have so 4 Awg, will that be alright, anything is better than what I had ha ha

Wouldn't running higher guage wire allow more current to be drawn and increase voltage drop? That doesn't make sense to me sorry

its dangerous.. dont play your system till you switch the wire..

back in 98 we used 8 gauge to power a fosgate 1k amp.. the amp didnt perform at all and when we unhooked it the wire was hot.. we looked more on that wire and it had already melted the jacket.. we only played it for a minute and that happen.. any longer and the bronco would have been up in flames.. i will repeat myself, do not turn your system on. better yet, unhook it now

sorry to burst your bubble but its not a 2000 watt amp.. it says it on their own site.. its a 1k amp and needs a 120a fuse. 4 gauge is good to around 150a so at minimum use 4 gauge for that one amp. add another amp and you need 1/0 wire.. that 8 gauge can only handle 50a if lucky

I'm using the same amp temporarily. I have 0 gauge from front to back to cap. From cap I have 4 gauge no longer than 10 inches. I have had it in about 2 weeks wired at 4 ohm. 2 days ago my amp got hot and went into protect. It's a $125 dollar amp. It's not going to last.

Still learning but have started gathering.

Archived