Bad idea? double stacking off fuse block

FYI, quality 4 gauge is rated at 300 amps less than 4 feet and 250 amps between 4-7 feet. since he's in the back i didn't expect the run to be that long but as Snow stated if length is a factor then yes it should be considered.

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

Snow's picture is far more acceptable. Boom, your drawing...that 300A fuse is now using the 4g wire as IT'S fuse. lol

Though with Snow's picture, I think I'd still run a 250A under the hood just to be safe on that 1/0awg. Zero reason to have a 300A under there with the amps you have anyway. Stepping aside from the "fusing to the wire gauge" discussion starting above, you just don't want to spend the money to buy a fused distro block. Working with what you have I guess. So Snow's way will certainly work.

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

if a fuse is rated at say X amount of amps it will blow around 20% more than that... fuses are designed to allow over current for short bursts.... every time the wire changes size you should reduce the fuse size before the gauge changes or if you pinch the wire and ground it off you make a fire... in the first pic the 4awg wire running to the zapco amp is not protected and can pose a hazard.... if you fuse for a 2/0 or 1/0 wire at 300amp and the 4awg wire grounds off it will catch fire before the 300 blows because a 300 amp will pop around 360 amps.... if you wish to save money fuse at the battery with the lowest fuse that the smallest wire will support.... start with a 100amp and dont go larger than 150amp because that will blow at 180amp.... fuses on the amps protect the amps... fuses on the wires protect the car/truck.....I run 4awg cca and fuse at 100amp and have never blown a fuse, mono amp has 2 70amp fuses and my 4ch has 2 30amp fuses.... if I was to fuse based on my lowest amp and use a 60 amp fuse I would think it would blow alot when the mono amp goes full tilt

Archived