Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

smaller enclosure than recomended vs proper sized sealed


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello guys i own a rockford p2d4-12 sub. Right now it is in a universal ported box (with tube as a port) with 30 liters internal space. I know it is very small for a ported enclosure and rockford recommends about 50 liters for ported . Will it soound better if i buy a sealed enclosure of 30l which is rockfords recomendation for a selead box rather than using the box i already have? I try to avoid the solution of buying the recomened ported enclosure for trunk save reasons. Thanks a lot

Posted

Test by sealing your current port.

Static drops are my bag.

Posted

Test by sealing your current port.

This. That will tell you exactly what you would get with a sealed box w/o having to buy one.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

you can also put a walmart pillow inside the box, buy one that weighs about 16oz... staple or glue it so it cant block the port or interfere with the sub... your tuning freq will lower and you will get that slightly larger box sound "about 20% more volume" for under $3.00...... for a ported box leave it in the pillow case!

Posted

you can also put a walmart pillow inside the box, buy one that weighs about 16oz... staple or glue it so it cant block the port or interfere with the sub... your tuning freq will lower and you will get that slightly larger box sound "about 20% more volume" for under $3.00...... for a ported box leave it in the pillow case!

Ah no, stuffing a ported box kills output. Its only beneficial with sealed boxes.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

I thought the same but after reading 100 threads on this forum alone I went ahead and gave it a go and I gained output... I since built a larger box to put me at where the pillow had me.... ported or sealed it still slows down the sound wave

Posted

I thought the same but after reading 100 threads on this forum alone I went ahead and gave it a go and I gained output... I since built a larger box to put me at where the pillow had me.... ported or sealed it still slows down the sound wave

It gained output on a SPL meter, or you THINK it got louder on the ear-o-meter?

Lets talk about what stuffing a box does. The stuffing does two things, one is it absorbs some of the sound energy inside the box, this can be useful for eliminating out of band noise and cutting down on standing waves (neither of these is generally useful for car audio). The other thing stuffing does is it lowers the QTC of the box (only applicable to sealed boxes). However since the stuffing absorbs some of the sound energy it CANNOT increase the overall efficiency of the box (can't make it louder), nor does it do the same thing as making the box bigger. With sealed boxes, when you make the box bigger it lowers the QTC and increases efficiency, stuffing a box lowers the QTC (like making the box bigger), but decreases the efficiency (unlike making the box bigger).

Now since you are talking about a ported box, the other thing stuffing a box does is it can change the tuning frequency. What suspect happened is when you stuffed the box it changed the tuning frequency and thus moved where the box peaks at making you think it got louder, and maybe it did over a limited frequency range, but the overall efficiency had to go down.

Here is a really good article on what stuff does to different box types for those who are interested:

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=content&id=79

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

you can also put a walmart pillow inside the box, buy one that weighs about 16oz... staple or glue it so it cant block the port or interfere with the sub... your tuning freq will lower and you will get that slightly larger box sound "about 20% more volume" for under $3.00...... for a ported box leave it in the pillow case!

Ah no, stuffing a ported box kills output. Its only beneficial with sealed boxes.

Not entirely true...You should know better

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Posted

Not entirely true...You should know better

Lol, well maybe I should have clarified the difference between stuffing and lining, and instead of saying "Its only beneficial with sealed boxes." I should have said "Generally not beneficial to car audio ported boxes".

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Not entirely true...You should know better

Lol, well maybe I should have clarified the difference between stuffing and lining, and instead of saying "Its only beneficial with sealed boxes." I should have said "Generally not beneficial to car audio ported boxes".

Haha, I knew that you understood the difference. I was just busting your balls ;)

Damping can certainly has its place and can help a ported enclosure if done the correct way.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8384 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...