Second Skin Audio

Can someone justify DD prices?

matt scarlett

If I lived in the UK, I'd be damn interested in Ground Zero. Hell, I live in the US and I'm still interested. They make a great looking product and I know a couple of guys that run it.

Sorry to stray from your original topic but I definitely like Ground Zero AND B2.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Curious as to which subs you are looking at from the DD line up, and what other brands you are comparing them to price wise. Since I've been on this site, one thing I have noticed is the build quality of particular subs. There's alot of subs out there that keep having to be reconed. Speaking in general guys. I had to rebuild my RF 15's due to sagging spiders. No big deal except I was messaged by PSI not to use the Springfield 8" spiders because they are the same as the OEM which sagged in the first place. PSI suggested their dual spiders for the RFR3115 for longivity. Not knowing the difference, I just used what I already had, the OEM type.

Anyway, parts for parts, each sub is build differently, sound different as well. Hard to compare really. Just think of it this way, if the cost of a 2 recones of a cheaper subs, if they ever need it, out weighs the cost of 1 DD sub, than just get the cheaper subs and call it a day. If the cost is close to the DD, get the DD. Though I can not speak for the DD subs and how often they need recones.

Just saying.

-Frank

Most of the guys around here need recones because they beat the living shit out of their subs not because the subs aren't built well.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Curious as to which subs you are looking at from the DD line up, and what other brands you are comparing them to price wise. Since I've been on this site, one thing I have noticed is the build quality of particular subs. There's alot of subs out there that keep having to be reconed. Speaking in general guys. I had to rebuild my RF 15's due to sagging spiders. No big deal except I was messaged by PSI not to use the Springfield 8" spiders because they are the same as the OEM which sagged in the first place. PSI suggested their dual spiders for the RFR3115 for longivity. Not knowing the difference, I just used what I already had, the OEM type.

Anyway, parts for parts, each sub is build differently, sound different as well. Hard to compare really. Just think of it this way, if the cost of a 2 recones of a cheaper subs, if they ever need it, out weighs the cost of 1 DD sub, than just get the cheaper subs and call it a day. If the cost is close to the DD, get the DD. Though I can not speak for the DD subs and how often they need recones.

Just saying.

-Frank

Thanks for your reply Frank, very good way of looking at things. However, I also agree Broke_Audio_Addict that people slap the cr@p out of their stuff nowadays. I'm a little more reserved. Not into SPL by any stretch of the imagination, don't compete. I just want decent SQ when I'm alone, and to blast/show off whenever I can ... but not with 10 gazillion watts and a wall of 18's. Just not 100% DD is the only quality brand though! But I appreciate your response.

Most of the guys around here need recones because they beat the living shit out of their subs not because the subs aren't built well.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. To me it depends on what side of the fence you're looking at it from BAA. >> They want sub "A" to preform like sub "B". It may for a while, but sub "A" is still NOT sub "B". Build quality is in the hands of the end user as well as in the company who produced it. For me, the more you pay for some thing, the more you tend to not want to abuse it. If you do and break it, it may be the product OR it can also be the user. lol.

My side of the fence sees life this way........."If you don't want a speeding ticket, don't speed".

If the OP doesn't like the price of the DD, don't look at them! Just stick with the other non mentioned brands and call it a day.

-Frank

Just saying.

-Frank

Thanks for your reply Frank, very good way of looking at things. However, I also agree Broke_Audio_Addict that people slap the cr@p out of their stuff nowadays. I'm a little more reserved. Not into SPL by any stretch of the imagination, don't compete. I just want decent SQ when I'm alone, and to blast/show off whenever I can ... but not with 10 gazillion watts and a wall of 18's. Just not 100% DD is the only quality brand though! But I appreciate your response.

You're welcome. I know where you're coming from. Cost is always the drawback. The cost for each of my RF 15's- were $125 a piece used, the recone was $110. So I own them for $235 USD per sub. Way cheaper than say 1 Crossfire C7 15 or SP4 that people talk about. For me it was a big step up from my HX2 12's.......if we lived in 2002. :D

But these subs are still way different. These newer subs can play lower than mine. lol. So I'm still not there yet. Hahaha. So what is the price difference you're looking at?

-Frank

Archived