Sonic Electronix

New amp + speakers, static?

What branb of headunit?

Kenwood KDC-X790

my guess is that you have gain on amp set too high and pre amp voltage out of head unit is too low. To reduce noise you want the highest clean pre amp (RCA) voltage possible and then set amp gain accordingly. Next issue could be grounds. generally if there is noise, make sure all audio electronics are grounded to same point. Or get a ground loop isolator for rca. or if you have pioneer head unit you may have pico fuse issue. to fix, ground rca to radio frame.

Amp gain is at the lowest it will go. Haven't messed with the headunit settings besides turning off factory "loud" settings etc, should be pretty clean, unless I'm missing something.

Grounds for sub amp and speakers amp are in different spots, they won't reach to the same spot. Should I re-arrange and make them ground at the same spot?

Now, I'm really thinking you have at least one bad ground at the headunit and maybe amps.

I re read your first post, when you installed the mids, are they touching any metal? The connects and wire to the mids good and clean, no pinched wires?

Or which I doubt buuuuut you never know without being three, the mids could be damaged.

What branb of headunit?

Kenwood KDC-X790

my guess is that you have gain on amp set too high and pre amp voltage out of head unit is too low. To reduce noise you want the highest clean pre amp (RCA) voltage possible and then set amp gain accordingly. Next issue could be grounds. generally if there is noise, make sure all audio electronics are grounded to same point. Or get a ground loop isolator for rca. or if you have pioneer head unit you may have pico fuse issue. to fix, ground rca to radio frame.

Amp gain is at the lowest it will go. Haven't messed with the headunit settings besides turning off factory "loud" settings etc, should be pretty clean, unless I'm missing something.

Grounds for sub amp and speakers amp are in different spots, they won't reach to the same spot. Should I re-arrange and make them ground at the same spot?

Now, I'm really thinking you have at least one bad ground at the headunit and maybe amps.

I re read your first post, when you installed the mids, are they touching any metal? The connects and wire to the mids good and clean, no pinched wires?

Or which I doubt buuuuut you never know without being three, the mids could be damaged.

I'll check the mids as well, 99% sure they aren't but I'll double check for sure.

Gonna try some new grounds today and see where that takes me.

Thanks guys appreciate it, will update soon

Update:

Same solid ground for sub and speaker amp, new RCA straight across car, no wires nearby, new HU ground... nothing.

Grounding RCA plugs in a sec, and then checking speakers for any contact on metal.

Do the amp RCA plugs need to be grounded too?

grounding the HU RCAs shouldn't be needed, it's a fix for a user error. Have you tried an independent source for the amps (iPod, phone, etc) hooked directly to the amp to see if the problem still exists?

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

grounding the HU RCAs shouldn't be needed, it's a fix for a user error. Have you tried an independent source for the amps (iPod, phone, etc) hooked directly to the amp to see if the problem still exists?

I haven't yet, however I do not have any kind of plug available at the time. It may be a few days until I can make that happen.

Also, grounding out RCA plugs on HU did not change anything.

try hooking up a different speaker to those amp channels to narrow down the issue being the amp or new speakers.

my lucky guess is that the new speakers are not wired properly. maybe the negative has come a little loose on one of them.

goodluck!

Managed to find a cable, plugged in my iPhone and as much as I WANT to think it sounded better, it still was static-y. The tweeters were loud and almost harsh, and I could hear the static decently clear through them. (Could barely hear the mids below the tweeters). However, there was no static without music playing, unlike with the regular RCAs.

try hooking up a different speaker to those amp channels to narrow down the issue being the amp or new speakers.

my lucky guess is that the new speakers are not wired properly. maybe the negative has come a little loose on one of them.

goodluck!

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it later. I've hit that point of the week with nonstop classes, close/open work schedule... I'll get back to you guys on Friday!

Thanks again for the advice!

Do you have an extra speaker around you could use for testing? Unhook all the speakers and use the test one to see if the static goes away.

If it does then hook up all the installed speakers execpt one and in it's place use the test speaker to find out which one is the problem.

Archived