gckless Posted November 17, 2015 Author Report Posted November 17, 2015 I was so excited, because I had put on [what I thought was] the last coat on the bottoms yesterday. Flipped em over to revel in my creation, and what do I find? It dripped through, sat on the plastic, and created the glorious pattern you see here. I wanted to frisbee-throw these bitches right off my third-story balcony. So angry! But, calmed down, sanded them flat once again, and they are currently drying with [what better be] the now final coat. I painter's taped the bottoms where there were cracks, so hopefully everything turns out fine. "Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand. My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/ High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography
boom50cal Posted November 18, 2015 Report Posted November 18, 2015 Gil, if you want a bit easier time pulling the wire through the pipes compared to that 12/2 Romex, you can pick up some #14 or #12 high temp wire from a local electric supply house. Has a pretty thick jacket, and is rated a tad higher than convential solid core romex iirc. We used to use it on Heatlamps for buffets when I worked for an electrician. Lots easier to pull through pipe than Romex. Oh, and some standard #12 buttsplices should work fine for you. Did lotsa butsplices on 480v pump panels that way and never once had an issue. Good idea to heatshrink them though. On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said: Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.
gckless Posted November 18, 2015 Author Report Posted November 18, 2015 Gil, if you want a bit easier time pulling the wire through the pipes compared to that 12/2 Romex, you can pick up some #14 or #12 high temp wire from a local electric supply house. Has a pretty thick jacket, and is rated a tad higher than convential solid core romex iirc. We used to use it on Heatlamps for buffets when I worked for an electrician. Lots easier to pull through pipe than Romex. Oh, and some standard #12 buttsplices should work fine for you. Did lotsa butsplices on 480v pump panels that way and never once had an issue. Good idea to heatshrink them though. Man, you're about 3 days too late. I went and got 12AWG stranded wire, and I already got it all together, and I'm soldering everything. I actually snaked the wire through before I assembled it, because it would have been impossible if I didn't. I have most of it wired, just have to finish soldering the top sockets. "Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand. My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/ High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography
boom50cal Posted November 18, 2015 Report Posted November 18, 2015 ohwell lol. That #12 stranded is plenty enough anyway. Excited to see it finished. Didn't think of it today until me and my mom drove past that Golden Corrall we used to work at all the time. On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said: Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.
gckless Posted November 18, 2015 Author Report Posted November 18, 2015 Ohhhh yesssssss. So smooth! I actually didn't want them so glassy lookin, but it had to be this way because of errors. Still looks good, I'm pretty proud of these. This is pretty close to the actual color. So happy with 'em. So here is a rough mock-up for those that couldn't really visualize my terrible description. Boards are holding the bottom because it's not super tight and sags. I would have put the bottom board on there, but I discovered that it doesn't fit after I tightened everything. Awesome! So I'll have to shave out notches on both sides of the pipes. Not a huge deal, but more stuff to do. I'm still a long way from complete. "Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand. My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/ High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography
bcpballer64 Posted November 20, 2015 Report Posted November 20, 2015 Sweet! "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)
gckless Posted December 30, 2015 Author Report Posted December 30, 2015 Well I put this down for a couple weeks while I worked other things, but I'm back at it. Here it is standing on its own. All the structural joints are epoxied, and the cross bar was added at the bottom. While the epoxy was setting, the bottom shelf support bar rotated backwards, so now it's not level. I'll either have to live with it or shim it, more on that later though. When I measured for the clearance for the bottom shelf, I measured before I tightened everything. Soooooo, after tightening it was too narrow. Had to notch out each side for the wood to fit between the pipes. Dry fit. Looks pretty good I think. Tomorrow I'm going to try to spray it. After that, all that's left is to screw the wood to the supports and screw in the bulbs. Almost there! "Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand. My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/ High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography
bcpballer64 Posted December 30, 2015 Report Posted December 30, 2015 Nice man I love that look "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)
boom50cal Posted December 31, 2015 Report Posted December 31, 2015 stoked to see it finished, gil On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said: Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.
gckless Posted December 31, 2015 Author Report Posted December 31, 2015 Done! "Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand. My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/ High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.