Second Skin Audio

Few good questions here, YOU might even wanna know the awnsers!

AllanLuberda

Hello everyone, My name is Allan, Or al for short...

I have a few long awaited questions...

#1 does quality of my head unit effect the quality of my signal sent to my amp?

#2 will a dirty signal or "lesser quality signal" cause a loss/gain in spl?

#3 Does a cross over or equalizer offer any benefits to spl score? like a cleaner more set signal? I noticed craig bulter has a Rf 360 module, and i am pretty sure hes using it for the woofers....

#4 how much does sealing my wall offer from the back effect spl score? My wall is 100% sealed to the side panels, but im sure air is leaking to the back, through the insides of the panels due to being hollow...I kinda wish i woulda took off all interior panels so i could put the wall to the frame...

#5 The weather strips on my doors, that seal the door to my car barrrlleey get pressed down when i shut the doors...The rubber weather strips are pressed justttt enough to stop water, but I am more than sure the seal isnt enough for pressure from bass...If i better seal this, could i see gains?

My MAIN QUESTION!

When i turn my amp on, I instantly get a constant static from my woofers...I know its not a ground noise, my grounds are BOLTED to the I beams underneath the back of the car...

The static has no change, to rpms or engine, or any accessories like the vent fans etc etc...I even buaght a $140 dollar pair of high quality Rcas, that are triple shielded. which did not give me the cure to static...

The static stays the same, regardless of volume knob...When i turn up volume the bass just masks the static...

Also when I unplug the rcas,I still get this static in my subs..

I recentlyyyy noticed (in my picture) the Rca inuts on my amp, require me to run my rca across the top of my power wires to my inputs on my amp....

I was thinking maybe, since the way my amp sits, just above all the wiring, maybe the emf fields are penetrating into the sound processing section on the amp board, which maybe thats why i get the static even with the rcas unplugged...The sound/signal processor is located in the middle of my amp, at the bottom, just above the power wire terminals (its the smaller micros chip above the big board)...

Is the static costing me spl, due to the signal having inference?

a111.jpg

If your wall is leaking that can cost you spl specially if you are looking for fractions of a dB, on the amp issue just set it up elsewhere and if it still does that noise it could actually have an issue itself, pretty uncommon but still possible.

I dont think moving my amp is much of an option, its a ford focus hatchback, I cant really mount the amp anywhere else...

I was doing a little research on electromagnetic fields, or emf, I am pretty sure nickle foil is the best emf blocker/shield, maybe if i wrap my rca wire a few times in layers of nickle foil, and maybe cover the bottom of the amp, where the signal processing happens with some of the foil?

if it works, i would try to figure out a way to make it look NOT so tacky....

1) typically not, as long as the headunit puts out enough voltage where you can properly tune the amps gain to match said voltage. So if its a 2volt output or a 4volt output a properly matched gain to either voltage should have 0 change in output.

2) define dirty signal. Typically if your only caring about spl a little bit of clipping will be louder on the meter.

3) typically not, however it may give you more options to adjust or fine tune settings or give you ease of access, but will it be louder probably not unless you use something to boost your lower rca voltage and dont readjust the amps gain for the new higher rca voltage which in return means your gain is set higher then needed.

4) It can be a huge impact, but the only way to know is to test and seal it off fully and test again.

5) yes and no, sometimes venting the system could make it louder like if your metering db drag style and do a 151db, then you open your door and meter again and you do a 153db. However typically you want the best seal possible which is why you see extreme vehicles bolting their door shut. You can usually find replacement weather stripping, and if its the top of the door that is leaking you can lightly try to bend the top of the door in farther. Over time weather stripping gets beat down just from opening/closing the car doors and looses its firmness, adding a system to the vehicle is just going to make the door vibrate and slap against the weather stripping more.

6)Yes, no matter how good your rca cables are if you are running them along side or right next to high current power wires even for just a few inches they will pick up noise but typically something you wont hear on the substage unless it is a lot of noise. The type of cable can also be a factor since there are 2 types and using the wrong type of rca on the wrong components can cause noise on its own.

But being that your rca cables are right on top of batteries and power wires that is most likely your issue.

Since you cant move the amp due to room, how about you rotate it 180degrees so the amps power connections are on the bottom, and the rca cables are on the top away from the batteries and wires.

But being that your rca cables are right on top of batteries and power wires that is most likely your issue.

I thought it was this til he said he still has the noise when he unhooks the rca

I thought it was this til he said he still has the noise when he unhooks the rca

yes, i still get static with rca unhooked, which is why i think it might be the emf fields from my power wires reaching the signal processor portion on the amp board...

1) typically not, as long as the headunit puts out enough voltage where you can properly tune the amps gain to match said voltage. So if its a 2volt output or a 4volt output a properly matched gain to either voltage should have 0 change in output.

2) define dirty signal. Typically if your only caring about spl a little bit of clipping will be louder on the meter.

3) typically not, however it may give you more options to adjust or fine tune settings or give you ease of access, but will it be louder probably not unless you use something to boost your lower rca voltage and dont readjust the amps gain for the new higher rca voltage which in return means your gain is set higher then needed.

4) It can be a huge impact, but the only way to know is to test and seal it off fully and test again.

5) yes and no, sometimes venting the system could make it louder like if your metering db drag style and do a 151db, then you open your door and meter again and you do a 153db. However typically you want the best seal possible which is why you see extreme vehicles bolting their door shut. You can usually find replacement weather stripping, and if its the top of the door that is leaking you can lightly try to bend the top of the door in farther. Over time weather stripping gets beat down just from opening/closing the car doors and looses its firmness, adding a system to the vehicle is just going to make the door vibrate and slap against the weather stripping more.

6)Yes, no matter how good your rca cables are if you are running them along side or right next to high current power wires even for just a few inches they will pick up noise but typically something you wont hear on the substage unless it is a lot of noise. The type of cable can also be a factor since there are 2 types and using the wrong type of rca on the wrong components can cause noise on its own.

Since you cant move the amp due to room, how about you rotate it 180degrees so the amps power connections are on the bottom, and the rca cables are on the top away from the batteries and wires.

Thankyou for your detailed answer what are the two types of rca exatly? Im pretty sure mine is the right kind, its from knu konceptz which is a website for car audio specifically..., plus its the highest quality cables money can buy, next to top of the line monster rca cables...

When i turn my volume up the bass kinda masks the static, which is constant + loud, id says its loudness is about normal talking db, so maybe 60-65ddb just in static noise...

Do you think the static in my signal would hurt my score via termlab?

Im assuming a 100% clean signal would offer more efficient output on the dbmeter am i wrong?

The static noise Could be bad connection. Looks like your using cheap lugs on your wires... Get some nice welding lugs

c-pillar flat wall 157.11db on music

2 crossfire 8k

4 NSV3 18s

4 crescendo 10s

4 Rockford pro 6.5s

Quad excessive amperage 350alts

4 juicebox 3100s

The static noise Could be bad connection. Looks like your using cheap lugs on your wires... Get some nice welding lugs

considering all the terminal rings, i cannot fit that kinda of terminal, they are too thick...I have up to 8+ ring terminals creating a 360 on the terminal, The ring thickness does not matter, nor is it too thin, considering the thickness of all 8 ring terminals on 1 post = over a half inch thick!!!

if i were to use the thicker ring terms, The rings above the terminal would be layered to over 1+ inch thick....

Thankyour for your input, Always appreciated

Archived