Second Skin Audio

Competition subwoofers?

King.Chus

Maybe competing isn't for you

like I said I want to start going to competitions. Just because I don't know something doesnt mean it isnt for me. I have always admired the sound systems i see on youtube and at car shows and seeing them do hair tricks and break windshields. I want to be a part of that. I guess maybe I should ask what's the best one for a NOOB to go to?

Start in one of the lower classes to get your feet wet.

If you go crazy right out of the gate you're likely to get yourself placed in the extreme class and then you're not gonna stand a chance.

Find what organization runs the comps by you then look into what classes they have, pick one, and build a system that fits in that classes specifications.

If you just want a demo monster and do comps just for fun then by all means go crazy.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Here it is in their manual.

NOTE: The woofer must face up or down only, especially in sealed enclosures.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/116367/Orion-Hcca-10-2.html?page=17#manual

According to the manual for a box it also says one 5inch round port for a 15 which is 19.6 square inches of port; or a slot port of 4.681 by 4.431 giving you 20.74 square inches of port.

Which is only 9.88 square inches of port per cube and the box is 2.10cubic feet after the sub and port displacement.

That just seems way way too small for a 15.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/116367/Orion-Hcca-10-2.html?page=23#manual

Here it is in their manual.

NOTE: The woofer must face up or down only, especially in sealed enclosures.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/116367/Orion-Hcca-10-2.html?page=17#manual

According to the manual for a box it also says one 5inch round port for a 15 which is 19.6 square inches of port; or a slot port of 4.681 by 4.431 giving you 20.74 square inches of port.

Which is only 9.88 square inches of port per cube and the box is 2.10cubic feet after the sub and port displacement.

That just seems way way too small for a 15.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/116367/Orion-Hcca-10-2.html?page=23#manual

That's some fucked up shit right there.

Their engineers must be smoking some good shit.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

It looks like their new black cone ones are a little different in the spec department for a box, but I doubt it since it is the same motor well same everything...

Maybe they changed the suspension on them, but even still it looks fairly bad imo.

I know when I modeled both the new and old hcca 10.2 sub (black cone and silver cone) in termpro, it told me damn near the same box.
So i dunno I havent took the time to mess with the 15 inch version but really for its price ($400-500 depending where you buy) there is far better subs out there that will shit all over it.

Also heard a lot of issues with the heat sink on top of the pole piece and that they come unglued if the woofer gets too hot.

It may also break your dustcap off depending on how the woofer is mounted, and without that heatsink the sub quickly overheats like all hell.

Looks like Orions are out of the question then. I'm gonna start looking around at different subs then i didn't really look to deep in how well they were doing just watched a couple youtube videos and liked what i saw. I'm glad i posted on here thanks for the help.

Start in one of the lower classes to get your feet wet.
If you go crazy right out of the gate you're likely to get yourself placed in the extreme class and then you're not gonna stand a chance.
Find what organization runs the comps by you then look into what classes they have, pick one, and build a system that fits in that classes specifications.

If you just want a demo monster and do comps just for fun then by all means go crazy.

I'm wanting to do comps for sure and maybe just show it off at car shows or something from time to time. It's gonna be more for fun than anything

Archived