Bayuk89 Posted December 9, 2015 Report Posted December 9, 2015 I have two 15" subs that call for a 3 cubic foot box tuned to 39 hz each , according to the manufacture. I have two questions, first is if I wanted to tune the box for daily beating I.E ( Pandora rock, country, hip hop) what size box and frequency should i build it to. Second question is if I wanted to tune the box for heavy bass and SPL I.E (bass patrol, bass meckanik, bass hunter, chopped and screwed styled music) what size box and port frequency should I tune it to ? I'm asking both questions so I can decided how what direction I wanna go, i mostly listen to bass meckanic type of "music" 60 percent of the time so i guess i would lean more towards a box that is gonna produce more and deeper bass, i just need to know what size to build it to and what frequency to tune it to. Space isn't an issue I'm running a second gen dodge with the back seat taken out. Two 15" subs pushing 2k RMS if that helps u guys with trying to find a build for me to make. Thank you
Triticum Agricolam Posted December 9, 2015 Report Posted December 9, 2015 What make and model of subs are they? All 15" subs are not the same and one kind will perform completely different than another in the same box. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Bayuk89 Posted December 9, 2015 Author Report Posted December 9, 2015 Q3000/15d quantum subwoofers. 3k peak watts 1.5k "claim" RMS. There isn't a big market for these subs but I got a good deal on these so I took a chance. They claim to RMS 1500 watts but I don't think so. I think they will handle 750-1000 RMS just find based on my judgement of the construction. Double stacked magnets claim to weight 200 OZ. It looks slightly based off the E line subs from sundown. Quantum manufacture specs say 2.3 cubic feet box for one sub in sealed box and 3 cubic feet for one sub in a ported box tuned to 39 hz with 6 in I.D. and 16 in long aero port. So on a judgement call, I'm pushing 2k RMS on these 15's and the manufacture calls for the box to be tuned @39 hz. How far up or down on the frequency should i go for more deeper bass and harder bass and at what cubic foot should i build the box to. Thanks again
Joe X Posted December 9, 2015 Report Posted December 9, 2015 Ok I ran the sub parameters to try to reply, it looks like 3.5 net per driver @30Hz with 40 square inches of port area per driver will work for what you want: Theoretical in-car frequency response for an average sized vehicle: Cone excursion: Port airspeed:
Bayuk89 Posted December 10, 2015 Author Report Posted December 10, 2015 Thank you joe x. Im new to porting and 15" woofers, i have always used 10's and 12's if i installed a system. Since im new to this displacement and new to SPL is 30 HZ gonna bed too "low" of a tuning frequency ? I have seen some people claim having mulitple 15's tuned to 32,34,36 hz. I dont have the program u do, can u explain to me why its best to tune my 15's at 3.5 cubic feet each @ 30HZ ? I dont wanna take up much of ur time if u can help me with the basics of the tune.
MotorCityFats13 Posted December 10, 2015 Report Posted December 10, 2015 playing lower than the tuning freq will cause the subs to lose control and burn up.... if you like lows look closer to 27-30 if you like spl look closer at 35-39 if you want a middle ground 32-33 is where most people tune... larger the box can cause more stress on the mechanical parts, box size and power used is very important but all subs are not created equal so what works for one may not work for another... the saying it takes space to make bass does not always work for all subs.... I think joe x said tune to 30 because you said you listen to bass and decaf but also rock so a good middle ground would be 30hz...... I run 1 level 3 12" DC and built a box .5cuft over recommended with a 33hz tune with an over power of 33% and It plays everything I listen to very well.... but I do not play decaf at all and also avoid anything lower than 28hz .... pretty sure that the AR cone upgrade and smaller than recommended port area is keeping the sub in line... could be wrong im no expert
Bayuk89 Posted December 10, 2015 Author Report Posted December 10, 2015 Thank you motorcityfat13. The few systems i have had over the years have been 10's and 12's. I always have build sealed boxed to manufacture spec with 3/4 MDF wood (makes it simple). Ive just recently gotten an interest in heavy bass and SPL after watching *life of price* and *EXOcontralto* on youtube, i know im a late bloomer lol again thank you guys for all ur help. Im building a frame at work right now for the box to bolt on to, 2nd gen dodges back floor isnt flat Cant wait to get started on this build.
Bayuk89 Posted December 10, 2015 Author Report Posted December 10, 2015 Now i just have to decide on a aero port or slot port... i have an app that tells me tune frequency if i put in box net or gross cubic feet and add in port length and I.D.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.