Speaker impendence q

plush4318

I haven't been able to find much information on ohms and and speakers, but I believe I have a simple question.

Say I have a two channel amp that puts out 800 x2 rms at 2 ohm and 550 x2 at 4 ohm, how many different speaker quantities of speakers at 4 ohm would hit the 4 ohm and 2 ohm specs of the amp?

If that's confusing let me know, and I'll go into more detail.

04trailblazer

XS d3400

XS xp3000

Pioneer 80prs

2 pairs of DD AW6.5 mids

2 pairs of DD AT28 tweeters

DD SS4A

DD M1D

DD 3518sc in custom kerf port box

2 runs Tspec 0/1 wire

1 or 4 4ohm drivers can get you to 4 ohms.

2 or 8 4ohm drivers can get you to 2 ohms.

Lots of online wiring calculators out there if you need to go further.

Static drops are my bag.

Probably just a little bit further, I'm looking at two different t speakers, one with 120 rms per, and one with 60 rms per

04trailblazer

XS d3400

XS xp3000

Pioneer 80prs

2 pairs of DD AW6.5 mids

DD SS4A

DD M1D

2 runs Tspec 0/1 wire

Probably just a little bit further, I'm looking at two different t speakers, one with 120 rms per, and one with 60 rms per

so... we need to know what the rms on your amp is. are you trying to find out what the max amount of speakers you can have hooked to one amp is at a reliable impedance? like can you have 20 50watt 4ohm speakers on a 1000watt amp if the amp is rated to do 1000 watts @ 4ohms?

so... we need to know what the rms on your amp is. are you trying to find out what the max amount of speakers you can have hooked to one amp is at a reliable impedance? like can you have 20 50watt 4ohm speakers on a 1000watt amp if the amp is rated to do 1000 watts @ 4ohms?

It's in the first post, sorry, 800x2 rms @ 2 ohm and 550x2 rms @ 4 ohm.

This is for my mid set up, I need at least one set of the 60 rms 3", and at least 2 sets of the 120 rms 6.5".

Two sets of tweeters will be run on a seperate two channel amp. I decided to do a three amp set up because that seems easiest for me.

04trailblazer

XS d3400

XS xp3000

Pioneer 80prs

2 pairs of DD AW6.5 mids

DD SS4A

DD M1D

2 runs Tspec 0/1 wire

This is for my mid set up, I need at least one set of the 60 rms 3", and at least 2 sets of the 120 rms 6.5".

Two sets of tweeters will be run on a seperate two channel amp. I decided to do a three amp set up because that seems easiest for me.

Oh I see now. Ok so, assuming all your speakers are 4 ohm svc drivers, you'll need 4 drivers on each channel to show a 4 ohm load. if you did 3 6.5" and 1 3" that'll give you a base rms of 420watts. Now the amp is rated to push 550 into that channel. not accounting for voltage drop or enclosure rise (a door interior i assume). Keep the gains down and you should be just fine.

Oh I see now. Ok so, assuming all your speakers are 4 ohm svc drivers, you'll need 4 drivers on each channel to show a 4 ohm load. if you did 3 6.5" and 1 3" that'll give you a base rms of 420watts. Now the amp is rated to push 550 into that channel. not accounting for voltage drop or enclosure rise (a door interior i assume). Keep the gains down and you should be just fine.

One small comment on that is the impedance is only affected where the drivers are playing the same frequency. If you have a passive crossover separating a 4ohm 3" and a 4ohm 6.5" there will be a single 4 ohm load (like a component set). Even natural roll-off plays into this. So where your 3" won't reach down to, say, 50Hz like your 6.5" will, you'll only see 2 ohms where they overlap.

Static drops are my bag.

One small comment on that is the impedance is only affected where the drivers are playing the same frequency. If you have a passive crossover separating a 4ohm 3" and a 4ohm 6.5" there will be a single 4 ohm load (like a component set). Even natural roll-off plays into this. So where your 3" won't reach down to, say, 50Hz like your 6.5" will, you'll only see 2 ohms where they overlap.
So in essence, you're saying 4 sets of 6.5s with 2 crossover sets and 2 sets of 3s would be the same as 4 drivers per channel?

04trailblazer

XS d3400

XS xp3000

Pioneer 80prs

2 pairs of DD AW6.5 mids

DD SS4A

DD M1D

2 runs Tspec 0/1 wire

yeah thats true, good point. i was assuming no crossover and just basic load at the amp

So in essence, you're saying 4 sets of 6.5s with 2 crossover sets and 2 sets of 3s would be the same as 4 drivers per channel?

Had to end that multi-quote.

Uhm, it depends on what the 'crossover sets' are doing.

You should protect the 3" on the bottom end and there is no need to run the 6.5" in the vocal range that the 3" are covering, otherwise what is the purpose of the 3"? So yes, I would find or build a passive crossover or use another amp to separate them and deal with the impedance of each size of speaker independently.

Static drops are my bag.

Archived