DAC vs optical

I bought a msi z97 gaming7 motherboard witch has a optical output for audio. From my understanding a external DAC is better due to not being subjected to rfi inside the case, with that being said since it is a optical output would a external DAC be better or am I over thinking this?

I am interested in any info on this too, good question. I thought DAC was mainly only for headphones though?

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Really depends on what you want to run. A DAC is needed any time you have a digital signal (which optical is) and need to covert it to analog for a device, say headphones or a preamp. If whatever you are going to run has an optical input it has a DAC built in and you are good to go. Any digital output (again, optical is included) is going to be 100% clean coming out of the pc, that's the joy of digital signal.

I would run A high quality DAC that had an optical input, obviously, get one that has atleast 24bit d/a's. At a minimum the dac should have burr brown chips.

there atre some decent dacs for under 50 dollars out there. If you are going to run surround sound a DAC might not be the best choice but instead a surround sound reciever like an onkyo with 24 bit d/a's.

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

Really depends on what you want to run. A DAC is needed any time you have a digital signal (which optical is) and need to covert it to analog for a device, say headphones or a preamp. If whatever you are going to run has an optical input it has a DAC built in and you are good to go. Any digital output (again, optical is included) is going to be 100% clean coming out of the pc, that's the joy of digital signal.

Ok I was over thinking it as it's going to go to my receiver that has optical. I was worried about the device on the motherboard that converts it to optical being affected by rfi.

The beautiful thing is optical is light! light is not affected by rfi, if it was digital coaxial it very well might.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

ok, so I gave this more thought, if you use your usb its going to have to be converted to a digital signal any, id, use the optical. its already installed, why use more equipment than you have too?

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

Archived