Second Skin Audio

what to look for in sub parameters?

Bayuk89

So some of u helped me with a few brands to buy from when I start my new 15' build this coming year. I wanna build a ported box for 3 or 4 15" subs. I wanna play down to 28-30 hz. I found a website that gives the definition of subwoofer parameters but I need to know what I'm looking for when buying woofers that play low. What do I need to look for in sub parameters or low bass or good excursion ? I

The better way to look at how sub parameters play out in a particular setup is by using modeling software, you see the enclosure and the vehicle play a major role in what you end up getting. It is very important to pick subs based on the space you have available for your box.

The better way to look at how sub parameters play out in a particular setup is by using modeling software, you see the enclosure and the vehicle play a major role in what you end up getting. It is very important to pick subs based on the space you have available for your box.

Thanks JoeX

Built my current build with those quantum 15's to the specs u gave me earlier on another post. They sound good and just like u said, good in car sound and not so loud outside.... I'm debating on sundown e-series 15's or sound qubed hds200 or hds300 15's. Trying to decipher the difference in their parameters and why one is better for what I want. Space wise I'm using then whole back area of my 99 dodge ram quad cab. I'm leaning towards doing 3 or four 15's walled.

Well there has been about 75 views on this post and only you JoeX have commented. I dont need it to be full broken down, just the basics. Like for low bass you wanna look for qualities in a sub such as this this and this.

Im debating the sundown e-series 15" or the sound qubed HDS215 or HDS315. I wanna which one has better parameters to run in a ported box tuned to mid to low 30hz.

Well its like Joe X said, sub parameters by themselves don't tell you the whole story, you need to factor in the box specs as well.

With that being said, subs that work well in a ported box usually have lower QTS and a higher EBP. Then its about finding subs with the power handling you need and the price you want to pay. With ported boxes excursion capability isn't as important, you will usually be limited more by the power handling capacity before you run out of mechanical capacity.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Here are a couple of screenshots from a bass cabinet website. I'm not exactly sure how well this information transmits into autosound subwoofer enclosures but it may give you a better picture as far as how certain Thiele Small Parameters work. QTS seems to have to do with the ratio of MMS (weight of the cone assembly) to motor force. For intance, a Mayhem 15 will have a higher QTS than a Mayhem 12 since the cone assembly has more mass while the motor force remains the same. It's been said that as the QTS goes up, so does the box size requirement to prevent ringing (boominess). Screenshot_2015-12-28-03-09-17_zps6rz2mbScreenshot_2015-12-28-03-14-47_zpsrh3nev

Thank you guys thats what i needed. With the back seat out i have about 15-18 cubic feet of room. Ive seen plenty of full size dodges, chevys, fords and even some midsize trucks running two 15" or four 15" walled so im sure i can too. I just needed a starting point on sub parameters and what i needed to look for in a sub that can produce deep bass and work in a ported box.

Archived