Scooter's Shop Re-design and Build Thread

20130414_175417.jpg

20130414_175422.jpg

Blurry picture, sorry. I put carpet on these benches because I was intending to use them as build benches. The carpet was going to make things easier to slide around, spin, etc. Just easier on everything. Didn't work out that way.

20130414_181813.jpg

20130414_181818.jpg

I actually ended up pulling this back side off down the road. I don't remember why, I think it's because the drill press was there.

20130414_183605.jpg

20130414_183814.jpg

Ah yes, the Harbor Freight Drill Press. Good for what I needed it for, but it's being replaced.

20130414_184327.jpg

20130414_190025.jpg

20130414_190032.jpg

I made a little holder out of the stud space and a couple of pieces of 3/4" ply for my levels and straight edges etc. But that was before the electrical panel went in, so that has moved as well. There really isn't a dedicated spot for them now, so they're kind of all over the place.

20130414_190809.jpg

Then I loaded it up.

20130414_192129.jpg

20130414_192140.jpg

20130414_192140.jpg

20130414_192402.jpg

Actually now that I look at the pictures, I think I flipped those around. The bench I posted first was actually second to be built I believe. But whatever, you get the idea.

After all that was done, I built a little shelf outside as well. That's what I just tossed. It was out in the weather, plywood wasn't protected, and it just got ruined. It was in bad shape. I got good use out of it for what I needed it for. So that's good, and plus I didn't spend any extra money on it. It was built out of stuff I already had.

20130705_162525.jpg

SO the entire reason I'm doing all of this re-designing and building etc, is because of these following pictures. This is the constant disarray my shop is in. This is just how it has become, because nothing has a place specifically for itself, and things are all over the place and not put away etc.

I'll be 86ing the parts washer, because it was cheap and I got the use out of it that I intended it for. So unless I can figure out a way or a place to put it, then I'll be tossing it. It's a harbor freight special. But other than that, it doesn't provide me much in the way of space. I don't have anywhere to put the Milwaukee tool chest top, so that needs a space, and having it on top of my workbench takes up workbench space. Putting it on it's own shelf/table, with a cart under it, will give me workbench space that I can utilize and still have the chest available. Also makes me have to clean up before I put it away.

20151228_234821.jpg

The shelf has been useful, and I built it originally to hold my equipment for my civic build. But since then it's become a catch all, and really I need the space more. I may try to re-purpose the unit, maybe cut it down and make a couple of cabinets out of it and put some doors on it, but otherwise, it's just not going to work for my design. If I could get an overhang built, I could easily put some doors on it, and use it as a paint cabinet, and liquids cabinet, etc, and it could go outside under the overhang where it won't get destroyed by the weather. You can also see my dash there, that's what I'm working on for the tablet in the truck. Again, it's just thrown in there because there's no spot to put it.

20151228_234826.jpg

There are my new tools with no homes. Scroll saw, band saw, drill press, plunge router. When I'm done, that will all go into one cart, well the plunge router will go on the table saw router cart. And yet another workbench with shit all over it. That's just the way things have gone.

20151228_234832.jpg

20151228_234839.jpg

I put speakers in there too. I had an amplifier up on the board on the left there, and was controlling everything with the tablet as the source as a testing unit. Those speakers are Morels which I got from Parts Express. I built the little cabinets for them. They sound fantastic, but now I have everything torn apart. I'll be using them in the new shop as well.

20151228_234842.jpg

20151228_234918.jpg

Here you can see the second set of speakers, but more importantly the electrical panel.

20151228_234857.jpg

And this cluster fawkery!!

20151228_234900.jpg

So that's where I'm at now currently with the shop. All that has to be cleaned up and then the new design can begin. I've been working on sketch up drawings, and I'll get on those a bit more tonight. Ideally, I'll be able to build the extension on to it, which will take the wall on the right where the red tool chest is, and push it out about 10 feet. Then I'll build an overhang in the front of it, where the doorway is that I took the first pictures. That will give me a nice covered area to work on outside if needed, and plenty of space inside.

There is a bit of a problem on the outside of the structure. It's not the structure itself, but the way the foundation was done, and the height of the ground, etc. Like I mentioned before, when it rains pretty good, the water comes inside the shop. I have to figure out how to divert that water, or prevent it somehow. I can dig down the ground level out behind the shop, but the problem with that is it would make it pretty level with the front of the shop, and then there would be no drainage at that point. So, that has to get figured out before I can do anything with the walls, i.e. sound board, drywall, etc.

Ok, I think that's all for now. I'll get on drawings tonight and hopefully have some more to post up soon.

I know it's not audio related, but hopefully someone gets some use out of the information and the project. I know for me, once I get it done, it'll make life much easier in building and designing. The only thing I'm missing right now is a computer center! But maybe I'll put one in somehow. LOL.

That's how mine looks right now lol. Space management is not my strong point which is kind of amazing considering how my truck is

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Thats about how my trunk, closet etc look since I don't have a workshop lol. I don't remember who said it but you could definitely use some header cabinets along the top to me it looks like a lot of wasted space you could utilize to store move able stuff, parts, spray paint etc, then that opens up your work space below

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Archived