Second Skin Audio

Box help

Will someone please run some box numbers for me? I've gotten wildly different specs from the various online calcs.

Here's the info. Trailblazer build, daily driver, music, lots of decaf, slowed.

I have 14 cubes available, but would like to be around ten gross to stay below the window line.

Two Atomic APX 15's w/ fresh Atomic recones.

4500w on 200A alt, 1/0 incl. big 3, 1 batt up front, two in back.

Subs: 2 Atomic APX 15D1 wired to 1 ohm final

Qes: .365

Vas 83.86

Fs 30.77

For port, I'm building a custom oval port, I would need area x length.

Box will be subs up inverted, port back.

I'd like to tune around 32 so I can get the lows loud.

Thanks for your help, will post a build log when I start.

What specs did you get and from what online calcs? Might be good to know what calcs to stay away from.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

I want an oval port because why not? Not something you see every day. Making it out of laminated birch veneer. Gonna post it in the build log. Ports don't know whether they're round or oval, as long as the area x length is good.

As for the inverted subs- these Atomics have sexy asses, so why not invert them?

If the port is too long for the box. Slot ports can go around corners. Juggling port area and port velocity is the fun part. Cool if you can get it to fit!

Pioneer 80PRS

I want an oval port because why not? Not something you see every day. Making it out of laminated birch veneer. Gonna post it in the build log. Ports don't know whether they're round or oval, as long as the area x length is good.

As for the inverted subs- these Atomics have sexy asses, so why not invert them?

well dive in and have fun!

Ive done the oval thing before, and there is only a few situations in which i will use them personally, and it has absolutely nothing to do with looks, as there is a mathematical reasoning behind it. I agree with you that a port doesnt know what shape it is, you are absolutely correct. However, shape plays into ports in ways that you are not realizing.

Here is an oval (elliptical, for the sake of proper terminology) port box i built, just for reference.

D89FD125-B256-475E-8E9B-311B5B785878_zps

Care to elaborate on how shape affects the port? I would very much like to learn.

The smaller ends have less flow than the center causing turbulence?

Pioneer 80PRS

I have a stickied topic at the top of this forum section where i go in depth on this.

The oval shape of the port is less efficient than a round port. The reasoning behind my use of an oval port is simply because i couldnt fit a completely round port in the previously illustrated enclosure, while this was still more efficient than a slot port.

There have been lots of oval ports popping up since i built that enclosure roundabout 2 years ago.

Oh I didn't even think to make a correlation between this and your lesson on port efficiencies :) I for one very much appreciated that by the way.

Will's box was my inspiration. This thread got derailed- it WAS about specs for thses two Atomics.

And if you will pay a little attention to this thread up to this point, you could learn some of the science-e and math-e mumbo jumbo behind what your trying to build, from the guy who built the one your trying to emulate, instead of looking at it as if its just a fucking hole that doesnt know what shape it is.

Just sayin..... Since this is about your sub specs ill remove all of this juicy information thats been sprinkled in here, you can figure it out on your own, and maybe get lucky and get it right the first time, probably not though.

I sure am an asshole for taking the time to try to help somebody.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

Archived