Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

enclosure for sa8v3s


Copper07

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey guys, looking to upgrade to some sundowns, but want to take the enclosure into account first. I'd LOVE to do a t-line with two of these, but I'm pretty sure that isn't gonna happen, I'm pretty cramped for space. My exterior dimensions need to be 10 inches by 32ish inches, and 13ish inches deep, and the subs have to be mounted on the 10x32 face. So, instead im planning on ported of course, probably Aeroports, and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas. I can most lkely design it myself, I just don't know how big (diameter) of an aero to use... Also, how do the v3s compare to the v2s? Are they just as good?

I dunno but he got 99 problems reading aint the only one.

Terry Brocks', on 13 Oct 2011 - 1:38 PM, said:snapback.png

Quote of the SPL Creed ; back in the day my girlfriend gave me a choice between her and and my love for car audio, I told that bitch I've made harder decisions at the Coke machine. :)

Posted

You are probably going to have a tough time using aeroports in a box that small. The hard part is they usually have to be pretty long to get the port area you need while keeping tuning where you want it. You might be able to make it work, but a slot port might be easier.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

So should I use a single L slot port for both subs then?

I dunno but he got 99 problems reading aint the only one.

Terry Brocks', on 13 Oct 2011 - 1:38 PM, said:snapback.png

Quote of the SPL Creed ; back in the day my girlfriend gave me a choice between her and and my love for car audio, I told that bitch I've made harder decisions at the Coke machine. :)

Posted

That's what I do would, but that doesn't mean it's the only thing that would work.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Alright. Thanks for the feedback man! If I cant get an aero going thats what I had planned for anyways. Anyone else have an idea, or know how big a diameter aero to use for the Sa8?

I dunno but he got 99 problems reading aint the only one.

Terry Brocks', on 13 Oct 2011 - 1:38 PM, said:snapback.png

Quote of the SPL Creed ; back in the day my girlfriend gave me a choice between her and and my love for car audio, I told that bitch I've made harder decisions at the Coke machine. :)

Posted

I had mine built for 2 sa8v2. I think it has 2 4" areos...you can see some pics in my build log for my f150 but I wasn't there when it was being built so I'm not sure of any measurements.

Edit: I didn't see the box size, ignore this.

 

F150:

Stock :(

 

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

 

Posted

Here is a suggestion critically tight, power: to subs rated, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, minimum port clearance 3", figure is just an assembly guide:

2sa8aero.jpg

2sa8.jpg

Posted

Wow, thank you so much Joe! That is a sweet looking box. What program did you use to create it/find those numbers? Any reason for the 35 hz tune? I like playing some really low 20, sometimes sub 20 stuff. I know a ported should play well a full octave below its tuning, I just want to be sure it doesn't unload on these lows... Also, how do I put those bends in the aero?

Just looked back, that height HAS to be 10 inches. I can't have it any more than that. I can have it a little wider however

I dunno but he got 99 problems reading aint the only one.

Terry Brocks', on 13 Oct 2011 - 1:38 PM, said:snapback.png

Quote of the SPL Creed ; back in the day my girlfriend gave me a choice between her and and my love for car audio, I told that bitch I've made harder decisions at the Coke machine. :)

Posted

I use custom software for calcs and sketchup for the figures, you bend the aeros by getting elbows, can't tune you lower since the ports would be longer and you don't have more space, in fact I went above your max dims, the box will play down to the upper 20s. Use your subsonic filter to avoid overexcursion.

Posted

I like playing some really low 20, sometimes sub 20 stuff. I know a ported should play well a full octave below its tuning, I just want to be sure it doesn't unload on these lows... Also, how do I put those bends in the aero?

Just looked back, that height HAS to be 10 inches. I can't have it any more than that. I can have it a little wider however

Man what do you listen to that has content below 20 Hz?

Ported boxes will NOT play a full octave below tuning. Ported box output rolls off at 24 db/octave, so at a full octave below tuning your output is going to be WAY down. Trying to play that low is a recipe for wrecked subs. There is nothing controlling excursion much below tuning, so if you don't have your subsonic filter properly set things can go sideways pretty fast.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3222 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...