Second Skin Audio

Need Help Designing a 4th order blowthrough

Bubohms

Honestly I was just told that by someone. They said tune at around 35hz so you can get low. I'm not a professional at this stuff that's why I'm coming to the forums for help just need to be steered in the right direction with a good design. All i know is I did some research and I'm looking for a 3:1 ratio 4th order. I just want to be able to go low and be able to get loud.

Is the person who told you to tune to 35 hz the same person who told you you want a 3:1 ratio?

Not trying to pick on you or anything, there is just a lot of really bad info floating around about bandpass boxes.

What amp are you going to be powering this with?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

No I just know I want a 3:1 ratio from my research and as far as the 35hz thing I don't even know if that's right I'm just telling you guys what I know and the amp is a Hifonics ZRX2416.1D for now that is I'm saving up for a crescendo audio BC3500D.

I would strongly suggest you be very skeptical of anyone who talks about designing bandpass boxes using "ratios". There are a couple really big problems with bandpass box ratios.

The first problem is that using a ratio implies that making the rear chamber smaller has the same effect as making the front chamber bigger and vice versa. This is completely wrong and leads to people doing silly things like make their rear chamber smaller just so they can achieve the "proper" ratio they think they need to. The front chamber and rear chamber effect how the enclosure performs very differently and they need to be sized completely independently of each other.

The rear chamber determines what output you are going to get and control cone excursion below the tuning frequency of the front chamber. The bigger you make the rear chamber, the more low end output you will get and the lower your sealed resonant frequency will be, but as you make it bigger your cone excursion goes up too. It's a balancing act to try to make the rear chamber as big as you can to get the most output, but without having it be so big your subs destroy themselves the first time you play a low note at war volume. The manufactured recommended sealed box size is a decent starting point for rear chamber sizing.

The front chamber determines what output you will get around the tuning frequency. The bigger you make it the more output you get, however you only get output over a limited frequency range. Make the front chamber too big and you get a one-note-wonder. Just how big you should make it depends on the parameters of your subs, which is the second big problem with using ratios. Some subs will give you wider bandwidth than others will using the same size front chamber. Subs with lower QTS and/or Vas will be more peaky than subs with higher QTS and/or Vas. Just how peaky you want the output to be depends on your personal goals and listening tastes, but for someone to say that 1:1 ratio boxes sound like "this" and 3:1 ratio boxes sound like "that" is completely ridiculous.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I hear ya. Well then maybe i need to just kind of restart this process lol I just need someone to point me in the right direction by the sounds of it you know what your talking about so what box would you recommend for those subs? I'm looking for some good output.

Archived