Jump to content
Sonic Electronix

System not performing up to expectations.


Recommended Posts

Posted

Man, I don't know anybody up in Canada that can help :(

You need a shop with experience in integration. These new systems are tricky. There are a good handful of guys installing out there that can literally take apart your factory setup and integrate/rewire it to function how you need.

Yeah I wish I could find one. The few people I've talked to here tried to blame it on my gear (which is all pretty decent stuff) or want to just bypass factory all together and just use a remote volume control - which I get since it's the simplest solution to get a clean audio source. Wanting to keep all factory stuff + good audio is all I want, but with this new stuff it seems like an impossible task.

Posted

lots of guys on the f150forum running into this same issue. Guys using the MS-8 to good avail, and the 3sixty.3 too. Generally taking the fullrange single from the front doors, but then you lose your front/back seperation..

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

 

Posted

Man, I don't know anybody up in Canada that can help :(

You need a shop with experience in integration. These new systems are tricky. There are a good handful of guys installing out there that can literally take apart your factory setup and integrate/rewire it to function how you need.

Yeah I wish I could find one. The few people I've talked to here tried to blame it on my gear (which is all pretty decent stuff) or want to just bypass factory all together and just use a remote volume control - which I get since it's the simplest solution to get a clean audio source. Wanting to keep all factory stuff + good audio is all I want, but with this new stuff it seems like an impossible task.

exactly why I really almost didn't get a new car and go used instead... but ultimately car reliability/life mattered slightly more than car audio... lmao

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

Posted

lots of guys on the f150forum running into this same issue. Guys using the MS-8 to good avail, and the 3sixty.3 too. Generally taking the fullrange single from the front doors, but then you lose your front/back seperation..

Yeah losing fading doesn't bother me. I am currently using a fulllrange signal from the fronts to power my front stage. In the rear I'm just running stock off of the stock factory amp because I don't give a shit about the people who sit in the back seat.

Since I'm running active all of the fading and everything I would do from the Mosconi software and for the most part once I find a tune I set and forget it.

Posted

lots of guys on the f150forum running into this same issue. Guys using the MS-8 to good avail, and the 3sixty.3 too. Generally taking the fullrange single from the front doors, but then you lose your front/back seperation..

Yeah losing fading doesn't bother me. I am currently using a fulllrange signal from the fronts to power my front stage. In the rear I'm just running stock off of the stock factory amp because I don't give a shit about the people who sit in the back seat.

Since I'm running active all of the fading and everything I would do from the Mosconi software and for the most part once I find a tune I set and forget it.

oh fuck yeah! that's the way to run!

figured you were like most of the F150 guys and actually wanted a rear stage aswell.

but you're like us and don't give a fuck about the back seat :)

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

 

Posted

lots of guys on the f150forum running into this same issue. Guys using the MS-8 to good avail, and the 3sixty.3 too. Generally taking the fullrange single from the front doors, but then you lose your front/back seperation..

Yeah losing fading doesn't bother me. I am currently using a fulllrange signal from the fronts to power my front stage. In the rear I'm just running stock off of the stock factory amp because I don't give a shit about the people who sit in the back seat.

Since I'm running active all of the fading and everything I would do from the Mosconi software and for the most part once I find a tune I set and forget it.

oh fuck yeah! that's the way to run!

figured you were like most of the F150 guys and actually wanted a rear stage aswell.

but you're like us and don't give a fuck about the back seat :)

lmfao... best statement

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

Posted

lots of guys on the f150forum running into this same issue. Guys using the MS-8 to good avail, and the 3sixty.3 too. Generally taking the fullrange single from the front doors, but then you lose your front/back seperation..

Yeah losing fading doesn't bother me. I am currently using a fulllrange signal from the fronts to power my front stage. In the rear I'm just running stock off of the stock factory amp because I don't give a shit about the people who sit in the back seat.

Since I'm running active all of the fading and everything I would do from the Mosconi software and for the most part once I find a tune I set and forget it.

oh fuck yeah! that's the way to run!

figured you were like most of the F150 guys and actually wanted a rear stage aswell.

but you're like us and don't give a fuck about the back seat :)

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Posted

So what I'm seeing based off of that thread you posted, this is what they did.

Added the Clean Sweep SSI behind the Sony amplifier to show it a load. They had to unhook the sub channels because they clipped terribly. He put it to a 2 way system at that point. The LCQ1 is just line out converter and equilizer. In your case I'd think you could put the 6to8 there and go from there to the amplifiers, but worst case you'd have to add that in there as well. Just adjust it to a flat signal so you use the 6 to 8 to process the flat signal.

As far as using stock volume, I'm assuming you want to utilize your steering wheel controls for volume, you may or may not be able to do that. If you set the volume to max unclipped volume for the stock unit, that should be where it stays. Get everything else set after that based on that max unclipped volume. I believe the Clean Sweep has a volume on it as well. Set that to the max unclipped volume. Then leave it there. I'd not even put the control out in the open, I'd put it away somewhere that it can't be bumped or moved, or mark where the max level is so you know if it has been. From there, set the LCQ-1 to max and you can find the 6to8's max volume and set the amps from there.

You mentioned the redundancy of it, but it sounds to me like that's what's needed to make the loads.

Once you have everything set., to test your volume controls for the stock head unit/steering wheel controls, just play something, and then use your main stock unit volume to turn it down and up etc. If nothing sounds off or distorted or acts funny, then I'd say leave the 6to8, LCQ1 and clean sweep volumes alone at max clean output and you can use the stock controls to adjust volume. Just remember what your max is on the stock volume. In my wife's 2015 explorer, we have lines, not number, but we also don't have the Sony system. So I don't know what yours looks like, but i'm thinking it's the same. We also have the 8" screen.

That's what I saw from what you posted.

I'm headed out from work. I'll check back in later. I think that should work from the brief information I've read.

Good luck.

I'm not sure I follow exactly what you're saying. If I understand you're saying to do: HU -> Sony Amp -> CleanSweep -> Mosconi -> Amps? (Obviously a simplified version of what you're saying). Or are you saying HU -> CleanSweep -> Sony Amp (to show it a load) then CleanSweep -> Mosconi -> Amps?

Mine also uses the bars like your wife's explorer.

Sorry brotha, I got busy last night.

The first way is what I'm seeing that they did. So from the Sony amp, find the signal wires out to the speaker channels. You want the front and rear channels only. Don't even attempt to use the sub channel because it clips badly according to them. Then go to the clean sweep which will show the Sony amp a load and sum the channels.

So what they're saying is they found that when there is not a constant load on the channels of the Sony amp, it "dances" all over the place and causes issues. That's what I'm reading out of that thread.

So it should look like this:

OEM Head Unit ~~> Sony Amp ~~> Clean Sweep ~~> Mosconi 6 to 8 ~~> Amplifiers

\

\ Audio Control LCQ1 ~~> Mosconi 6 to 8 ~~> Amplifiers

Ok so I'm actually changing my thoughts on this. I think you need to call JL Audio. I was looking up exactly how the clean Sweep SSI works, and found they have released a product called the Fix-82. It sounds like it's made exactly for this type of application. I would highly advise a phone call, email, pigeon letter, whatever to them and let them know your situation. But this seems like what you need. JL AUDIO FiX-82

In that case, I'd say OEM Head Unit ~> Sony Amplifier ~> JL Audio FiX-82 ~> Mosconi 6 to 8 ~> Amplifiers

Posted

So what I'm seeing based off of that thread you posted, this is what they did.

Added the Clean Sweep SSI behind the Sony amplifier to show it a load. They had to unhook the sub channels because they clipped terribly. He put it to a 2 way system at that point. The LCQ1 is just line out converter and equilizer. In your case I'd think you could put the 6to8 there and go from there to the amplifiers, but worst case you'd have to add that in there as well. Just adjust it to a flat signal so you use the 6 to 8 to process the flat signal.

As far as using stock volume, I'm assuming you want to utilize your steering wheel controls for volume, you may or may not be able to do that. If you set the volume to max unclipped volume for the stock unit, that should be where it stays. Get everything else set after that based on that max unclipped volume. I believe the Clean Sweep has a volume on it as well. Set that to the max unclipped volume. Then leave it there. I'd not even put the control out in the open, I'd put it away somewhere that it can't be bumped or moved, or mark where the max level is so you know if it has been. From there, set the LCQ-1 to max and you can find the 6to8's max volume and set the amps from there.

You mentioned the redundancy of it, but it sounds to me like that's what's needed to make the loads.

Once you have everything set., to test your volume controls for the stock head unit/steering wheel controls, just play something, and then use your main stock unit volume to turn it down and up etc. If nothing sounds off or distorted or acts funny, then I'd say leave the 6to8, LCQ1 and clean sweep volumes alone at max clean output and you can use the stock controls to adjust volume. Just remember what your max is on the stock volume. In my wife's 2015 explorer, we have lines, not number, but we also don't have the Sony system. So I don't know what yours looks like, but i'm thinking it's the same. We also have the 8" screen.

That's what I saw from what you posted.

I'm headed out from work. I'll check back in later. I think that should work from the brief information I've read.

Good luck.

I'm not sure I follow exactly what you're saying. If I understand you're saying to do: HU -> Sony Amp -> CleanSweep -> Mosconi -> Amps? (Obviously a simplified version of what you're saying). Or are you saying HU -> CleanSweep -> Sony Amp (to show it a load) then CleanSweep -> Mosconi -> Amps?

Mine also uses the bars like your wife's explorer.

Sorry brotha, I got busy last night.

The first way is what I'm seeing that they did. So from the Sony amp, find the signal wires out to the speaker channels. You want the front and rear channels only. Don't even attempt to use the sub channel because it clips badly according to them. Then go to the clean sweep which will show the Sony amp a load and sum the channels.

So what they're saying is they found that when there is not a constant load on the channels of the Sony amp, it "dances" all over the place and causes issues. That's what I'm reading out of that thread.

So it should look like this:

OEM Head Unit ~~> Sony Amp ~~> Clean Sweep ~~> Mosconi 6 to 8 ~~> Amplifiers

\

\ Audio Control LCQ1 ~~> Mosconi 6 to 8 ~~> Amplifiers

Ok so I'm actually changing my thoughts on this. I think you need to call JL Audio. I was looking up exactly how the clean Sweep SSI works, and found they have released a product called the Fix-82. It sounds like it's made exactly for this type of application. I would highly advise a phone call, email, pigeon letter, whatever to them and let them know your situation. But this seems like what you need. JL AUDIO FiX-82

In that case, I'd say OEM Head Unit ~> Sony Amplifier ~> JL Audio FiX-82 ~> Mosconi 6 to 8 ~> Amplifiers

That Fix-82 looks like the real fucking deal. I'm gonna order one and let you know how it goes. Based on the reading I've done on it, it seems like my best option.

I will likely only put front stage to it, though, since the rears are still hooked up to the stock cause it's "good" enough for the people back there. I don't imagine that will effect the outcome of it, though. Will update once I get the product and it warms up enough to install it.

Posted

Hello all. I've been a long time lurker of SMD forums and I know there's a lot of smart people who chat things up here, so I figured I'd finally actually post with the issue that I am having with my current setup. My first post will be a bit long and I'll try to include as much detail as I can.

I have a 2014 F150 with the Sony 8" MyTouch setup (meaning the alpine x003-fd2 unfortunately is not an option as it is not compatible with the 8" setups). I went from a pretty high end custom setup in my Passat to wanting to go a little more "stock" in my F150 while still getting decent sound. Here's my equipment:

Processor: Mosconi 6to8 V8

Components: Focal SP 165FX (running active on the FPD 600.4)

Sub: JL Stealthbox (SB-F-150-SPRCRW/13TW5v2/BK)

Amps: Focal FPD 600.4 and Focal FPD 900.1

Nothing too terribly crazy but not the worst setup in the world, either. That being said - off to a rocky start to where I am now I've just never been fully happy with it. The system itself is capable of being louder but I'm running into limitations of integrating into the factory stereo. Essentially there's no way to bypass the factory sony amp, so it has to go from the sony amp into the mosconi. We've determined at what volume the system distorts (using the SMD DD-1 as to ensure not to go louder than that point). The problem is, I want to be able to go a bit louder than that.

Additional issues are certain songs may cause popping in the mids at what we found to be the "safe" volume, so I tend to keep things a bit lower. That may just be a x-over issue, though. There is also white noise at low volumes while fairly negligible but still bothers me and would like to eliminate that if possible.

The first shop I had working on it was great for the most part, I believe this was their first factory sony integration with this exact setup ('14 F150) and we worked through a few issues and got it to a point where it's significantly better than stock. I've since moved, however, and upon talking to a couple of local shops - their lack of expertise makes me hesitant to give them a try so I'm contemplating waiting till it warms up and just tackling it myself in my garage.

I'm not an expert when it comes to tuning systems. My previous system I ran the Pioneer dex-p99rs and I got pretty decent with time at adjusting it on the fly. With the new Mosconi 6to8 i haven't spent a ton of time since I have to bust out a laptop every time I want to make an adjustment. Mostly just make adjustments by ear to what I feel sounds good - I am not looking to compete, just want a stereo that I can enjoy listening to my music on.

So basically I am wondering: what my options are for possibly being able to increase the output level of my stereo? My gains are set about half on both amps, the bass is fine where it's at (though I'd have to adjust it a bit if I were to increase my front stage).

Someone suggested putting something like an AudioControl LcQ-1 in front of the Mosconi, but from what I understand that would be somewhat redundant (and might even have negative consequences). Can the AudioControl take more distortion? I'm not too sure what the reasoning behind that would be.

When it comes to my factory sony head unit, obviously I have all EQ disabled and flat with no volume adjustment while driving. The obvious answer is to bypass the head unit all together and control the volume from the Mosconi using the remote, but I'd prefer to retain all stock controls if possible.

Looking forward to any thoughts that you guys might have, really appreciate you taking the time to read my post.

Hi I have your solution, I explained it in another post but wasnt really listened to, hopefully you will keep an open mind. On the input of the sony amp there are a pair of wires, they are the unaltered full range signal from the deck. the deck sends out about 5volts of uncompressed clean unclipped signal, there are 4 additional wires that are digital that control the volume of the sony. You have to tap those analong inputs and use those as RCA inputs to your processor, the volume control will no longer function on the head unit. You will need a volume control, I am assuming the mosconi has one? I dont have the amp input schematic for your truck but I have the similar sony system in my SHO. Look at the forums. I think this would solve your issues and bypass all the crappy dsp's and limiters built into the factory amp.

 

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2217 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...