NEVER use that stuff again, its not even rated for 100 amps and is a completely different style wire THHN is building wire. Your brave man lol just buy some 2 ga welding cable off ebay its like $1.60 a foot. Buy enough to power ur amp and do the big three upgrade. Next time u buy wire please do some research or ask someone on the forum. Not being a dicator just trying to help u along ur build and make sure u dont waste ur money on the wrong stuff or ruin ur vehical. Electrical fires are no joke.

Properly sizing it is the key. The small wire isn't bad but THHN in a 1/0 size would be a bear in a car. Routing the wire out of the way of danger is harder to do. The insulation even says "gas and oil resistant" on some of them. I don't know why because there are better choices if you had to buy it. I use welding wire myself. A lot of the car wire has insulation with no rating as to the temperature it can withstand.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Why am I brave what's bad about thhn cable

Because NO ONE uses thhn wire in ANY car audio installs. Its building wire made for high voltage low amperage. In the car audio world u need 13-15 volts and alot of amperage. The thhn wire has very thick strands and very few of them. In welding cable and car audio cable it has fine strands and alot of them. The current flows on top of the copper strands so the more strands u have the better ampere carring capacity u have. Just because its 4g doesnt mean its the same as welding cable 4ga or skyhigh 4ga. Welding cable and car audio power wire are made for high amperage. Do some research ok there is PLENTY of info on here that will help you. If in doubt please ask and u will get the proper answer.

I use welding cable, shadetree uses welding cable ALOT of people use welding cable. Its designed for high amperage use and has industrial standards on the amp carrying capacities and heat ranges, highly abrasive resistant. U will be happy with 2 gauge or 1/0 welding cable :)

I had some spare 2/0 thhn laying around. It's rated at 195amps. Temperature rating is 105 degrees celsius (221 fahrenheit) and 600 volts. I ran 4 gauge for like 2 years with my first system and never had an issue. Figured since it was straight copper and not that copper clad aluminum it would hold up better. Guess not.

Amps are amps no matter what its going through. If you had a straight shot from the front to the back, you could run a solid buss bar. The amount of current a conductor can carry is dependent on cross sectional area and length. Different kinds of wire are rated based on the application and the acceptable voltage drop for a given size. If you look at a chart for welding wire, the amperage ratings are for a 6 volt drop. The wire would have to be upsized for lower voltage drop.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Archived