I am wanting to add a second battery. I don't want to use an isolator because I won't be listening to my system with the car off. I don't want my second battery tired to my stock battery at all. Is it possible to run a 0gauge from my alternator(220amp) to my stock battery with a 250amp inline fuse. Then have a second run of 0gauge from my alternator to my second battery also with a 250amp inline fuse. This is my daily driver so I'm trying to do this in a way that's not going to fry my cars electronics. I just want the batteries completely segregated and to charge together.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No matter how you wire it, you'll have the batteries connected as one, just connect them in parallel at the battery to keep it at 12v and not 24v.

Separating batteries requires you to run a pair of alts to power each battery alone.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

I dont think it works like that..... installs ive seen that have two batteries run wire from the front battery positive to the rear battery positive (parallel wiring) I dont know why u wanna go a different route when the known route works.

Trying to charge two batteries off a seperates positive wires the ALT isnt gonna know which battery is low and which one is charged. Just go in the search forum on here and find out how to wire a second battery (already explained above) adding a second battery still keeps 12 volts ur just increasing your ampere capacity

If you have a true 220A alt, then you won't even come close to dropping to battery voltages on a 1400w system. Just wire your batteries up. You won't fry anything as long you alts and batts are 12v electronics

I'll be running close to 1400rms. I doubt my stock battery can handle that.

Sounds like u dont even have ur equipment or have it installed yet. So u have no clue on what kind of draw it will have on ur ALT or battery.

I would install ur equipment first, do the big 3 upgrade and use proper 2 gauge or 1/0 wire OFC wire, THEN after its installed and tuned proper if ur having noticeable voltage drop u can upgrade ur current battery or add a second one like u want.

Just guessing ur electrical is not gonna support it is just shooting in the dark buddy.

I do have my equipment and have had it hooked up once. This is before I bought the alt just fyi. The bass hit once and knocked my lights out completely for about 2 seconds. I've bought a new car since then and haven't installed my stuff yet. I do know this amp draws a lot more power than my pervious amp. That's why I bought the alt and second battery. I'm running a soundqubed hds315 on an audiopipe apcl1500.1 at 1ohm

How do u like the HDS315 ? Um looking at getting two for my next build :) i heard those audiopipe amps are very thirsty on power.

Honestly it might be worth checking ur power and ground wires just to make sure u have good connection and ur big three upgrade if u havent already.

Im running a 1500 (dynoed at 1300 and some change) watt amp @ 1 ohm pushing two 15" subs. My electrical is just a cheap autozone battery and a factory 136 amp ALT big three and power/ground done with 2 gauge royal excellence OFC welding wire and my voltage has never dropped lower than 13.2 volts @ full tilt listening to bass patrol and bass mekanic.

Just trying to figure out why ur having such voltage issues with a 1500 watt amp on a 220 amp ALT..... :(

U can install a yellow top optima or go on the forum and see what others are running, some are using deka batteries others using wayyy more expensive XS power and kenetic.

1500 watts should only require a strong up front battery but i guess if u need a second battery IMO any brand in AGM would be sufficent.

EDIT*******

Sorry i read u already bought amp and second battery

So yea back to the answer u got from me and others that replied, hook ur front and second battery in parallel positive to positve on both batteries and ground the second battery in the same spot u ground the audio pipe amp BAM all done :)

Archived