Sundown Audio

Amp burned up while not playing...really

shepherd92683

This is the update they sent me.

This amp has damage to the power supply, including burned resistors and FETs. Will send to amp tech for repair quote.

So what would cause ALL of this while it is powered but not being used?

A short circuit

03 Sable LS

AA mayhem 12" D2

Sundown ZV4 12" D1

Tantric HD 12" D2

Tantric SHD 12" D1

Sundown X12 V2 D2

2.5 cu net

Sundown 2000d @ 1 ohm

XS Power XP2000

Sky High Sound Deadener

Sky High wire

Stock alt

Check your subs to make sure they are not shorted or blown. If they did not kill the amp then the amp might have killed them. Some amp failures can put 12vdc on the speakers.

Any noise or hum on the input would have been heard at the speaker. Double check all your wiring. Twelve volts DC on the RCA inputs would not be heard at the speaker and would cause this.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Check your subs to make sure they are not shorted or blown. If they did not kill the amp then the amp might have killed them. Some amp failures can put 12vdc on the speakers.

Any noise or hum on the input would have been heard at the speaker. Double check all your wiring. Twelve volts DC on the RCA inputs would not be heard at the speaker and would cause this.

I'm not sure the subs could have blown them since they were not playing but I don't understand everything electrical. I also don't understand 12v dc on the rca inputs... Can you break that down to lehmans? Or is it already? Lol

2017 Honda Accord Touring 

Build coming soon

The amp was trying to make some serious power when it blew fire out of the side of the transistors. The failure does not sound possible but we have proof that the amp is toast. If something in the install caused this then it will happen again as soon as you put another amp in. We need to rule out all possible causes starting with the things that are easy to check.

12vdc on the RCA inputs would put the amp at full power at zero hertz. Check your head unit output with a volt meter to make sure the outputs are good and don't have a DC potential on them.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

The verdict is in...supposedly they said vibration from the amp being mounted to the box without any rubber feet or anything to minimize the vibration caused it. If that is the case, what is the BEST way I can mount it to the box because that is the only place I can put it.

Build coming soon

It's not the only place, and you really should try to avoid mounting it like that. Yes you can use rubber isolators, but if you touch the amp while the bass I'd hitting you'll still feel the amp vibrating.

I have a Trailblazer with a 12.5 cube box in the back plus a battery, also a Boston GT4100 that is over a foot long. Unless it's on the roof i would like to know where I could put it. Keep in mind it is a daily driver and I do have 3 kids that sometimes ride with me.

Build coming soon

It's not the only place, and you really should try to avoid mounting it like that. Yes you can use rubber isolators, but if you touch the amp while the bass I'd hitting you'll still feel the amp vibrating.

I have a Trailblazer with a 12.5 cube box in the back plus a battery, also a Boston GT4100 that is over a foot long. Unless it's on the roof i would like to know where I could put it. Keep in mind it is a daily driver and I do have 3 kids that sometimes ride with me.
Mount it on the back of the seat.

Ballin' on a budget.

Archived