Second Skin Audio

Best 12 for small ported box

SCATHED

Right now the box for the BL is probably a little short on port area. It's 2.3 cubes net tuned to 35hz with three 3" aero ports. Sub is on 2000 watts.

Thoughts on the box? Should I shrink it down since the sub is being overpowered a little? My goal is to just get the loudest I can with the space that I have.

With three 3" aero ports you are a LOT short on port area. You should probably around 35-40 sq in of port and right now you have 21. You COULD gain significant output just from rebuilding your current box with a more appropriate amount of port.

should i build a smaller box?

Right now the box for the BL is probably a little short on port area. It's 2.3 cubes net tuned to 35hz with three 3" aero ports. Sub is on 2000 watts.

Thoughts on the box? Should I shrink it down since the sub is being overpowered a little? My goal is to just get the loudest I can with the space that I have.

You are needing about 40 square inches of port area for the sub on those conditions. Pretty sure low port area it's costing you output.

I have an 8" octoport that I can use, but that's 64" of port area

I guess it depends on how you are measuring it, but an 8" octoport should't be 64 sq of area, it should be less. It would have to be a mile long though to get your tuning where you want.

As far as your box size goes, if you aren't having excursion problems with it now, there really isn't much reason to build it smaller.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I have a single cab truck so space is limited. What 12" subs perform well in small ported boxes? I know DC Audio subs do well in that category but are there any others?

your right, all our subs do well in small boxes

DC AUDIO

Phone Number

1(855)SPL-DBZZ

Built by Competitors, for Competitors.

Can someone who is good at designing/enjoys designing boxes design a box for an Fi BL 12 that is within the space that I have? Powered by crescendo bc2000. Here is the space I have but I can go smaller since it's getting overpowered. I just want the most optimum box for the sub.

Space available is...

Width: 40

Height: 20

Top Depth: 6

Bottom Depth: 10

Archived