Second Skin Audio

cone area vs port area

im looking to build my own box for a project this year and am unsure on how to correctly size my port in comparison to my subs.... i have a pair of kicker L7's, currently one installed in a prefab, kicker spec'd ported box between my seats, but id like to build a box to use both of my subs. i plan to make a fiberglass bottom to fit tight to my floor (really irregular shape between side saddle tanks) for max volume, but am unsure how the port for a single sub compares to two subs. i know sub specs and box volume etc. play a role in port tuning but dont know what information exactly is required. any box builders input would be greatly appreciated... not looking to "compete" other than overpower my loud exhaust. lol

Port area requirements are dependent on box size, tuning frequency, input power, and the specs of the subs themselves. If you can provide us with all that info we can give you some area recommendations.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Model: S10L7
Nominal Impedance [Zn], ohm [per coil] 2 or 4
Resonance Frequency [fs], Hz 37.5
Power Handling Watts, Peak (RMS) 1200 (600)
Total Q-Factor [Qts] .584
Equivalent Volume [Vas], ft3 (L) .97 (27.5)
Outer Frame Dimension, in (cm) 10 11/16 (27.1)
Mounting Depth, in (cm) 6 3/16 (15.6)

box not built yet but will be between 2.5-3 cu.ft....... reccomends 1.25-2.25 cu.ft for a single l7 10 ported.

amp will be my 1000w jl audio jx kicker says 600w rms sealed per sub or 450w rms ported per sub...

let me know what other info you need, and thanks for the help

Ok, so how much port area you are going to need is going to depend on how big the box end up being. If its on the small end for two subs, so 2.5 cu ft, you are going to want at least 35 sq in. If its more like 4.5 cu ft you will want at least 55 sq in. If its somewhere in between you can adjust the port area accordingly.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Port area is only affected by box volume and/or power if one or both of those parameters limits excursion. But what happens when you decide to add more power later??

Unless you know for sure you are never going to apply enough power to make it to max excursion, and you are tight on space, you should base port area on cone area, Xmax, and tuning frequency.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Port area is only affected by box volume and/or power if one or both of those parameters limits excursion. But what happens when you decide to add more power later??

Unless you know for sure you are never going to apply enough power to make it to max excursion, and you are tight on space, you should base port area on cone area, Xmax, and tuning frequency.

I never get tired of seeing this response.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Archived