Subwoofer Layout...? First time DIY Home Theater

Hey guys...

So working towards building my first DI|Y home theater system.

Starting with the lowes... I picked up an old technics reciever with digital inputs, 5.1 surround and 100w per channel.

I was considering getting a pair of 15s... building 2 ported enclosures and placing them in the rear corners of the large room however...

I currently have 4 10" drivers from an old car audio build and they've been collecting dust for a few years. Now I'm thinking building 2 dual 10 ported enclosures and doing the same. 2 10s will be a little less cone area then a single 15... however I already have them.

Was considering wiring them down to 4 ohm per pair and powering them with an iNuke 3k which runs ~ 600rms per channel at 4ohm.

Will the 2 pairs of 10s do the trick? Will I get decent output? The room is ~ 20x24 and is open. I want to be able to feel the low end.

Thoughts?

03' Black Z71 Tahoe
3" Lift / 315/70/R17 Goodyear Duratracs
Eclipse AVN6620 Touchscreen Head Unit
Hifonics BRX3016 - 3krms @ 1ohm
2 RE Auido SX 18s - 14.5^3ft net @ 30hz w/ 200^2in. port
120hp Cummins 4bta Swap

If you want to feel the low end stick with the 15's. 10's can get low but in HT u want to be able to play down low REAL low like around 15hz and up (dependent on the amp and sub of course).

1 x Fi Audio SP4 V2 12" D2 Fully Loaded

1 x Wolfram W-4500.1

2 x XS Power D5100's

250A Singer Alternator

2.67 Cubes @ 29hz

Hmm... after pricing things out, the 15s are out of my range for now.

While I have them laying around, is there anyway to make these 10s perform how I want them to? Will large enclosures (4cu. ft) and 20-25hz tuning do the trick or will it not sound decent?

I know there has to be a way since most "box stores" surround sound systems come with powered 8s or 10s... its gotta be possible.

Suggestions?

03' Black Z71 Tahoe
120hp Cummins 4bta Swap

going sealed will allow you greater bandwidth but less output... just a suggestion

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

What is the frequency response on the 10's? Another option is to run a passive radiator setup. If u want to go low with the 10s is suggest doing the ported enclosure.

1 x Fi Audio SP4 V2 12" D2 Fully Loaded

1 x Wolfram W-4500.1

2 x XS Power D5100's

250A Singer Alternator

2.67 Cubes @ 29hz

So what model of 10"s are they? Some will work decently for HT usage, others won't be worth the trouble.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

The 10s are OZ Audio... Old vector series. Their Fs is 39.73hz which is pretty high for this application I'd say.

I had them tuned at 30hz and it sounded good and hit fairly low... just not sure if it'll work decent in home audio.

I do intend on going with 15s or 18s in the future... but just cant swing it right now. I've got the materials but if it will be a waste...

03' Black Z71 Tahoe
120hp Cummins 4bta Swap

I guess it really depends on how much your time is worth. If you want to spend the time to build the boxes, you could build a pair of boxes 4 cu ft net tuned to 23 hz put two subs in each box and they will work OK, not great, but OK. If it were me, I don't think its worth the effort.

Since it sounds like you are already getting a iNuke, I'd consider this design:

Its only uses a $90 sub:

A pair of those V.B.S.S. design subs will DESTROY your four 10"s, and it won't cost you much for the hardware. You won't be wishing you would have done something different six months down the road.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived