Sonic Electronix

Where to find 12 awg, 2.8mm female spade connectors

Installing some Alpine component speakers for a friend and the negative terminal has a 2.8mm male connection.

This got me looking online for a 12 awg female with no luck.

Anyone know where I can by some of these?

don't have a soldering iron?

I do. But it makes it a lot easier to trial fit everything before soldering.

I guess I should ask, What is the best way for connecting speaker terminals? Bare wire soldered to speaker tab? Can you put the spade connector on the speaker connector then add a drop of solder to keep it from moving?

I found these. My goal was to solder 12 awg wire to them (seems like it will be a very close fit) then put a drop of solder onto the connection afterwards. If I needed to remove I would just use my solder iron to remove solder.

Will this work?

I prefer spade connector with some solder to keep in place, then heat shrink over top. When you change speakers, cut the shrink, remove the solder, pull the connector off. Easy day

I prefer spade connector with some solder to keep in place, then heat shrink over top. When you change speakers, cut the shrink, remove the solder, pull the connector off. Easy day

Perfect. That is exactly what I was planning.

I found quite a few different bare terminals, which is what I am looking for, but noticed they all have different materials or colors. Any opinions on which is "best" or is that over thinking it at this point.

I found these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-PCs-2-8mm-0-11-Crimp-Terminal-Female-Spade-Connector-Case-Total-200PCs-/181410251379?hash=item2a3ce4c273:g:xtYAAMXQVT9Sqh9z

and these for way more, getting way less qty

http://www.ebay.com/itm/URBEST-20-Pcs-Female-Spade-Cable-Wire-Terminals-for-2-8mm-Connectors-/371238311360?hash=item566f8715c0:g:C9EAAOSwymxVLOSR

if I dont have the time to wait for shipping on some connectors. solder and heat shrink work just fine

not sure why you have to solder first before you trial fit everything

that should be one of the last steps

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

Archived