Second Skin Audio

Box for Power Acoustik Mofo 12

12ncfrank

Hey guys, I'm looking to build a box for my new setup and need help designing a box for it.

-Vehicle: 2003 Audi A4 (B6 body style) sedan. I had to google the trunk dimensions because currently I don't have my car here at college & can't measure. It seems to be 18" high, 39" wide, 41" deep based on my scattered search results. I also read that the trunk opening is 17"x36.5" but I have no other results to compare it to.

-Sub (1): Power Acoustic Mofo 124x 12" (1500w rms). Link to user manual online here, stats are on the first page. FS 30.3 Hz, suggested tuning for a ported build is 36 Hz.
-Amp: Planning to get an Alpine MRX-M110 monoblock, 1100w rms.

Today while I was searching for ideas, I came across this:

RESE12BOXDESIGN.jpg

How well or poorly do you think it would work with my setup? According to the picture it's tuned to 26 Hz, is that a little low for my sub? If so, any idea what kind of changes I would have to make to bring that up a bit? I also read that 45's in the corners help a lot, and this doesn't have any.. any suggestions there?

I just found out about this type of sub box today and know very little about it. All I've heard is that it supposedly can make 1 sub very effective, and it caught my attention. (If I have that wrong, also let me know :P ).

Also I should note that I would prefer to only use about half of my trunk or less for this, it's my daily driver and I'd like to have some trunk left ;) I'd like to be able to hit a good range, but still get loud when I crank it. I hope that's not asking too much.

I would greatly appreciate your help, whether it be tweaks to the above design, a whole new design, or even just some advice. Thanks!

1349976252_nat2.png
Thanks TLEJ!!

The port in that box looks way too long and has too many 180s. This will kill efficiency. It might be ok on low power maybe. If you want it to be loud then the box you need might not fit through the trunk opening. I am not familiar with the sub. What is the recommended box volume? Do a search in the box build section to get an idea on box configuration.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

The port in that box looks way too long and has too many 180s. This will kill efficiency. It might be ok on low power maybe. If you want it to be loud then the box you need might not fit through the trunk opening. I am not familiar with the sub. What is the recommended box volume? Do a search in the box build section to get an idea on box configuration.

I kinda thought the port looked excessive but I figured I'd still post it, you guys are magical :P So far I haven't found many results, I'll keep looking. Seems like mofo builds are done with 2 or 3 subs instead of 1.

That box is 1,5 net and spec calls for 2 net, inefficient port as said, what music do you listen?

Rap, dubstep, and any combination of the two for the most part. I also listen to rock, hot hits, and pretty much anything that's not country haha. But most of the time when I crank it, it's with rap or occasionally dubstep.

1349976252_nat2.png
Thanks TLEJ!!

Any possibility of a redesign or some changes to make the current design more functional? I would really appreciate it.

Oh, I should also mention that if possible I would prefer a front-firing setup, that's what I've always had and I've grown to love it.

Also, a question that's not exactly related: I've been living with the belief that mounting the amp to a sub box is bad for it because of the vibrations and such. How true is this, and should I avoid doing this when possible? Or is it fine since it's only 1 12"?

1349976252_nat2.png
Thanks TLEJ!!

So here is a suggestion, power: to sub rated, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, minimum port clearance 2 5/8", figure is just an assembly guide:

NOTE: If building outside you need to build a cardboard dummy box to test fit in it's way inside.

mofo.jpg

PFSFDBalt_zps005133af.jpg

That's a good looking box. I would not mount the amp to the box if at all possible. I have heard of a few amp failures because of this but people do it all the time. Also if someone steals your box then they get the amp too.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

So here is a suggestion, power: to sub rated, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, minimum port clearance 2 5/8", figure is just an assembly guide:

NOTE: If building outside you need to build a cardboard dummy box to test fit in it's way inside.

mofo.jpg

PFSFDBalt_zps005133af.jpg

This is awesome, thank you so much!! :yahoo:

That's a good looking box. I would not mount the amp to the box if at all possible. I have heard of a few amp failures because of this but people do it all the time. Also if someone steals your box then they get the amp too.

Very good points. I'll just have the amp next to the box then, thanks :good:

1349976252_nat2.png
Thanks TLEJ!!

Archived