Second Skin Audio

Question About Sub Box Size

baller95

That box looks really nice! Looks like you have SketchUp pretty well figured out.

I would use the design with a single chamber and slot port though. The ports in your dual chamber design have two 180 degree turns in them vs the single 90 degree turn in the common chamber box. Also the dual ports have a lot higher aspect ratio, so they have move internal surface area for an equal amount of port area. Both of these things will cause additional air resistance, which is not what you want. If you want to stick with a dual chamber design. I'd increase the port area by 20% and try to reconfigure the ports to get rid of those 180 degree turns.

Thanks dude! I'm having fun playing around in it haha. I'll trying modifying V2 and try for no 180 degree turns. By the way, would it be ok to make a cutout in the centre piece like this (pictured below)? Also, do you think I should do upward firing subs with rear firing ports or should I just keep both rear firing? Thanks!

vN0Xku5.jpg

DeWhjfZ.jpg

I'm glad to hear you are having fun with it! Fun is the reason we do this stuff :-)

A cutout like you have pictured certainly will work just fine. From a bracing perspective its not quite optimal, but its LOT better than nothing.

As far as firing subs up vs firing them back, it depends on your vehicle. I can't remember what you said this is going in, but if its an SUV or hatchback having the subs fire up will probably be best.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Instead of making 180s in the ports, I would do a single 90 with the port running along the back wall. Also with a common chamber it should allow for a shorter port as well.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

If you're going to run it as a shared airspace, might as well do two small ports coming together as one larger port in the middle. That setup would allow the port walls to double as bracing around the middle of the box. Here's an example of that layout I'm referring to...

TPortDualturn.jpg

Both of your new box layouts look a lot better. 3vil's suggestion would be even better yet, for the reasons he outlined. Though if you like the way having a port on each side looks, it will work fine too.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

If you're going to run it as a shared airspace, might as well do two small ports coming together as one larger port in the middle. That setup would allow the port walls to double as bracing around the middle of the box. Here's an example of that layout I'm referring to...TPortDualturn.jpg

Both of your new box layouts look a lot better. 3vil's suggestion would be even better yet, for the reasons he outlined. Though if you like the way having a port on each side looks, it will work fine too.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Apart from bracing, what benefits will a single port give me? I'm kinda liking the dual ports because I can get crafty and do something cool between the two ports. Again I'm not looking for something that's ever going to be measured for SPL output, I'm just looking for something loud and clean and that'd sound best with EDM (130 bpm) and Trap music.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Apart from bracing, what benefits will a single port give me? I'm kinda liking the dual ports because I can get crafty and do something cool between the two ports. Again I'm not looking for something that's ever going to be measured for SPL output, I'm just looking for something loud and clean and that'd sound best with EDM (130 bpm) and Trap music.

Strength is the main reason, apart from that have the port in the middle uses a little less material to get the same dimension of port and has a little less internal surface area, which is better for airflow. Neither of these are going to make a big difference, but they do make a small difference none the less.

If you use two ports along the outside, just be sure to put a brace in the middle of the box. A window brace would be good for that location.

Builds:

Strength is the main reason, apart from that have the port in the middle uses a little less material to get the same dimension of port and has a little less internal surface area, which is better for airflow. Neither of these are going to make a big difference, but they do make a small difference none the less.

If you use two ports along the outside, just be sure to put a brace in the middle of the box. A window brace would be good for that location.

Alright perfect sounds good. Thanks again for all the help! I'll send the sketchup file to a CNC place to get it cut when I get the time & money. :)

• 1 month later...

Yeah I'm not sure why I didn't do it this way in the first place lol. Here's V3 (rear firing subs) and V4 (upward firing subs) :)

V3 -

O5rR5jJ.jpg

xaX79MC.jpg

Fx7MxOo.jpg

eaClX5m.jpg

Well guys, I finally got the time to come back to this and it looks like I'm going to have to go with the design quoted above. I finally got the chance to measure my trunk dims and it's tight. Since my trunk has a depth of 15" and width of 40" I'm going to have to use the box above with the sub and port firing upward. That way the box dims will be 39.30"W x 15.75"H x 14.00"D which'll just squeeze right in.

FhSx8pl.jpg

Any thoughts? This should be ok right?

Archived